Options

Ebay is bogus these days for bidding

JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
You sit there, and watch the clock run down. You wait for the last possible minute to place your bid, and go for it. Then, 3 seconds before it ends, the bid gets sniped.

I was bidding on a 2600xm that was going for 9 bucks. Not bad. I waited, set a max bid and bid. 7 seconds down, highest bidder. Then the number jumps to 150 something dollars with 3 or 4 bids. I had two windows open, plus my laptop, and my speed would not match that many bids to that amount. I saw 150 and said ahh no.

Now, I can go ahead and go to another auction and pickup a 2611xm with 128d/32f for 120 bucks, using the buy now. 150 plus shipping for a router that did not even have a sh version on it? Or mem stats? Good luck with that one....
Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Well... You're sniping as well but you're doing it manually so there isn't that much to complain about. The software I used before was jBidwatcher. Its free and worked well.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Set a higher max bid.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    tiersten wrote: »
    Well... You're sniping as well but you're doing it manually.

Its free and worked well.

Yep I prefer doing it manually seems a lot more satisfying lol

worked well ? not using it now or stop buying?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    worked well ? not using it now or stop buying?
    Stopped buying. Not had the need to find anything on eBay lately.
  • Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Set a higher max bid.

...or find a decent Buy It Now price on the item and take the plunge. That way, there are no surprises when all is said and done.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually find it funny when people get caught up in the thrill of bidding and jack the price up to more than some of the Buy It Now items.

If you're looking for a deal, bid low and check once in the evening to see if you got lucky.

If you actually need (or want) to buy something, bid a current fair market price after doing your research.

If you've never dealt with the vendor before, ask for the show version output and skip bidding if you don't get it or bid very low.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man that's how auctions work. I do just fine on ebay and I'm sure their bottom line isn't doing so badly either.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I need it, I usually just do a buy it now. No need in dealing with the pressure of bidding or anything.

As far as setting a higher bid, I did have a bid as high as I would of paid. In the last possible second I saw it went up to 150 and said forget it.

mikej412 wrote: »
    I actually find it funny when people get caught up in the thrill of bidding and jack the price up to more than some of the Buy It Now items.

If you're looking for a deal, bid low and check once in the evening to see if you got lucky.

If you actually need (or want) to buy something, bid a current fair market price after doing your research.

If you've never dealt with the vendor before, ask for the show version output and skip bidding if you don't get it or bid very low.

I agree, as stated on this item. For 10 to 20 bucks, if there was a surprise with it then oh well. But when I am serious on the item, I check every auction to make sure there is a sh version on it. Then I do a buy it now lol.

I am just surprised the snipping programs are still out there. I thought years ago ebay found a way to bid them. Could be mistaken.

I am just more or less surprised that it seemed like two different users had a sniper and brought the price up that much.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    Jonk wrote: »
    I am just surprised the snipping programs are still out there. I thought years ago ebay found a way to bid them. Could be mistaken.
    eBay aren't going to do anything about it. At the end of the day, they still get their cut and to ban them would be nearly impossible.
    Jonk wrote: »
    I am just more or less surprised that it seemed like two different users had a sniper and brought the price up that much.
    Probably.