Options

***New*** Wireshark Book

cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all....I don't post on here a whole lot but I am always browsing. I just wanted to share with you all that the new wireshark book is out and ready for print. I just pre-ordered mine and used a 35 percent off coupon. i signed up for email alerts some time ago.

The book can be found here

Wireshark University

Here is the coupon code if anyone is interested.

998nws35

I can't wait to crack open this book!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cgrimaldo wrote: »

Likewise. Just placed the order. Thanks for the heads-up icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cgrimaldo wrote: »
    Hey all....I don't post on here a whole lot but I am always browsing. I just wanted to share with you all that the new wireshark book is out and ready for print. I just pre-ordered mine and used a 35 percent off coupon. i signed up for email alerts some time ago.

The book can be found here

Wireshark University

Here is the coupon code if anyone is interested.

998nws35

It's nice to know Laura's file structure... icon_wink.gif The Hyperlinks are pointed at the WebAdmin's local drive.
  • Options
    It's nice to know Laura's file structure... icon_wink.gif The Hyperlinks are pointed at the WebAdmin's local drive.

Oh noes, that tells us her username is "laura"* icon_lol.gif

The links work on Wireshark Network Analysis

*Good observation though
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Oh noes, that tells us her username is "laura"* icon_lol.gif

The links work on Wireshark Network Analysis

*Good observation though

Hardly a security hole, but humorous none the less :D
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Order submitted, thanks for the promo code.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's too bad they only ship UPS. I guess I'll have to wait for Amazon to get it.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've ordered far too many books lately... but I guess just one more won't hurt :D
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Ah... I was going to place my order too but $109.11 for delivery to the UK is pretty steep!!!
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    I've ordered far too many books lately... but I guess just one more won't hurt :D

Yeah, I am trying to figure out how I can justify it right now... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    broc wrote: »
    Ah... I was going to place my order too but $109.11 for delivery to the UK is pretty steep!!!

Agreed.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WOW great find, as you can see by my sig i have been doing some studying on wireshark lately, this should be great since its new material! purchasing now, thanks for the coupon!

As for the file structure /security leak, go ahead and try to hack the site, im sure it was purposely done that way to lure victims in for a counter hack icon_wink.gif

Dang now that i look further they are finally bringing back the exam! which was one of my original goals for 2010 but found out they discontinued the cert! this will look great on the resume, adding back on my 2k10 goals list icon_smile.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    WOW great find, as you can see by my sig i have been doing some studying on wireshark lately,...

So are you studying for the Wireshark Certification? Also, how are the DVDs?
  • Options
    So are you studying for the Wireshark Certification? Also, how are the DVDs?

I was in January, but then in February i realized the test was no longer available. It still inst available from what i can see, but this new book is created as an official exam guide. The new exam will be out in Q2 from what Laura says on her site. Right now i have the wireshark stuff on hold, as i am just focusing on the network warrior book and then next will be my ASA book along with the CCDA cert. To be honest the Wireshark studies gets a bit repetitive and it can bore you a bit, i can almost say i also got a little burned out looking at packet to packet to packet. However this new stuff from Laura has me motivated again.

The DVD's are good and i enjoy the visual aspect of learning, but i feel a book would do just as well. Trust me all this packet inspection stuff gets boring at times and repetitive.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, I broke down and bought it.... damn you OP! :D:D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Author signed? So if I'm reading that right, you can get an autographed 1st edition for the same price as an unsigned copy? icon_scratch.gif

And 35% off!! icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Author signed? So if I'm reading that right, you can get an autographed 1st edition for the same price as an unsigned copy? icon_scratch.gif

And 35% off!! icon_eek.gif

and if you act now you can also get... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    lchappelllchappell Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, ok... so I was messing around with the website and locked the links to the local host I was on... I guess I'll never be a true website administrator... sob! <g>

And yes - autographed 1st edition is the same as an unsigned one - unless you want to send us some Dosido girl scout cookies as extra payment. It's funny when we've had phone-in orders. Brenda asks "Would you like Laura to sign your book?" She cracks up when she hears "Oh NO! Absolutely not." Man... I scribble love notes in those ones! "Thank you for those late evenings spanning ports and sipping Red Bull... you're my hero!" He he...

Hey! Who said "Wireshark studies can be a bit repetitive and boring!" HA! There's nothing as thrilling as seeing an ACKed Lost Packet flying by with bold black and red coloring rules flapping in the wind! Harrumph!

Seriously though... we should have the new proctored certification out in Q2. We received advice from folks at Cisco and HP on how roll out the certification and set the pass score. They were very helpful to us.

On the UK/Europe shipping thing - yeah... Brenda is looking at options if you don't want UPS or to wait for Amazon to get the books in stock. We'll have more information up on Wireshark Network Analysis (which I hope doesn't lead to my 'tech toys' purchasing directory on my local drive!).

Take care all! Will wait for feedback on the bad boy, uh, er... I mean the Wireshark Network Analysis book.

Laura Chappell
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lchappell wrote: »
    Ok, ok... so I was messing around with the website and locked the links to the local host I was on... I guess I'll never be a true website administrator... sob! <g>

And yes - autographed 1st edition is the same as an unsigned one - unless you want to send us some Dosido girl scout cookies as extra payment. It's funny when we've had phone-in orders. Brenda asks "Would you like Laura to sign your book?" She cracks up when she hears "Oh NO! Absolutely not." Man... I scribble love notes in those ones! "Thank you for those late evenings spanning ports and sipping Red Bull... you're my hero!" He he...

Hey! Who said "Wireshark studies can be a bit repetitive and boring!" HA! There's nothing as thrilling as seeing an ACKed Lost Packet flying by with bold black and red coloring rules flapping in the wind! Harrumph!

Seriously though... we should have the new proctored certification out in Q2. We received advice from folks at Cisco and HP on how roll out the certification and set the pass score. They were very helpful to us.

On the UK/Europe shipping thing - yeah... Brenda is looking at options if you don't want UPS or to wait for Amazon to get the books in stock. We'll have more information up on Wireshark Network Analysis (which I hope doesn't lead to my 'tech toys' purchasing directory on my local drive!).

Take care all! Will wait for feedback on the bad boy, uh, er... I mean the Wireshark Network Analysis book.

Laura Chappell

Laura:

Any word on an date and price for the wcna?
  • Options
    wow i dont know whether to reply or hide because of my comments lol, but i have your book and the cert on my radar no doubt! But like i said before maybe i found it repetative because i was perhaps burnt out, but as you can see with these new signs of life with the new book and cert , i have it as a cert i want to earn this year. So i guess i can eat my own words here by saying its equally a motivating subject....icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    Hi Laura!

WoW, I am once again reminded of why I love this forum... :D You never know who you will meet next!
  • Options
    Well, I broke down and bought it.... damn you OP! :D:D

Sorry! haha..I'm just really digging into Wireshark in my Security courses at school and I searched for books on Wireshark and was surprised there wasn't anything already published by them. Once I signed up for email alerts, I got one some time ago about the new book. I was constantly checking my email since :)
  • Options

Laura Chappell

So can you knock off a few more dollars since I got a few referrals for you? :) J/K! I can't wait for this book to get shipped out and delivered!
  • Options
    Just wanted to bump this for the folks who haven't seen it..
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ...... Brenda asks "Would you like Laura to sign your book?" She cracks up when she hears "Oh NO! Absolutely not." Man... I scribble love notes in those ones! "Thank you for those late evenings spanning ports and sipping Red Bull... you're my hero!" He he...

That's GREAT!!! icon_cheers.gif

Well, I didn't opt for the signed one, but am looking forward to its arrival!!

Thanks for stopping in!
    PW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pity its so expensive to get in the Uk, cause thats a book I would love to have.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167

Laura Chappell

Hi Laura, Thanks for taking the time to reply on a public forum. I wouldn't mind having it delivery via USPS or any other "cheap" carrier for a reasonable price. It takes forever to arrive but that's ok :)

Failing that, I will order it from Amazon once available, any rough idea of when it will be?

Thanks!
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lovely. Mine will be here on Monday, when I'm in the middle of a four week out of the office bender.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Mine arrived today :)
    icon_study.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for the 1st? Booo icon_sad.gif

For those that have it, what are your initial impressions?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Has everyone/anyone gotten their books yet?

I thought I went through the option that led to a Yahoo Store and ordered one -- and I see some of my info appear when I do a partial entry in the fields, so I know I've been on the page before..... I just haven't received (or been billed) for the copy I thought I pre-ordered icon_scratch.gif

Did I miss an additional submit/confirm button on the order form? Or did pre-orders exceed the initial printing and are others still waiting for their copy?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!