Options

Crypto IOS image ?

tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
Just a quick question, what is the REAL difference bewteen IOS image and Crypto IOS image ? Which one is better?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tearofs wrote: »
    Just a quick question, what is the REAL difference bewteen IOS image and Crypto IOS image ?
    One has crypto e.g. VPN and SSH and one hasn't?
    tearofs wrote: »
    Which one is better?
    If you need crypto support then the crypto one...
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    some one correct me if i am wrong, but I don't belive there is any difference in licencing between the two.

however some countries (such as China as the first that comes to mind) do not in many cases allow encrypted traffic. To meet export laws to these countries they have to remove these features.

I would always go for Crypto as it allows SSH , and encrypting management traffic can never be a bad thing.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    however some countries (such as China as the first that comes to mind) do not in many cases allow encrypted traffic. To meet export laws to these countries they have to remove these features.
    You're allowed crypto in China. What are the cryptographic policies of some countries?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »

China
    China is one of the countries with the strongest restrictions on cryptography; a license is required for export, import, or domestic use of any cryptography product. There are several restrictions on export regulations, and China is not participating in the Wassenaar Arrangement.

Allowed yes, but not unless you are licenced..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Allowed yes, but not unless you are licenced..
    Still allowed though and it does appear that software with crypto as a feature like browsers do have some kind of exception at least at some point in the past. It is unsure whether there are still restrictions on them now.

There are countries with even more restrictions than China.

At one point you couldn't export strong crypto at all from the US but they've relaxed those restrictions mostly now except for a specific list of countries.
  • Options
    But this is all missing the point.

encryption tecnoligies are subject to inport/export and domestic regulation. So any device capable of running them are subject to these same regulations.

So to answer the origianl question a Crypto image has the encryption technologies built in. where as a non crypto image does not. (no encryption of managemnt traffic, no encryption of any data sent to or from the device)

If you are not regulated by the encryption laws (And most people in the US or Europe, as well as many other countries are not) then you want to get the crypto image.

But the above is the only difference. Can it encrypt data or can it not, all other features between a crypto and no crypto image reamin the same. (assuming you are looking at IOS images from the same feature set)
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    So to answer the origianl question a Crypto image has the encryption technologies built in. where as a non crypto image does not. (no encryption of managemnt traffic, no encryption of any data sent to or from the device)
    Agreed 100%
    If you are not regulated by the encryption laws (And most people in the US or Europe, as well as many other countries are not) then you want to get the crypto image.
    I'd agree AS LONG AS you have enough space on the device's flash for the larger crypto image. Don't forget the crypto features will make the image larger and thus flash space may become an issue. I only mention this because I tried loading a crypto image last week and it failed due to lack of space in the flash. Had to crack that router open and add a larger stick :)
    ...all other features between a crypto and no crypto image reamin the same. (assuming you are looking at IOS images from the same feature set)
    Agreed 100%
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT