Your favourite VNC client

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have always used the free edition of RealVNC, but it's inability to scale the target desktop to the size of the client screen is really bugging me. I know the paid version has this but my employer won't pay for it.

However, I don't want to switch to another one without the recomendation of people I trust (ie you people!!)

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use and like TightVNC. But the *only* reason I am partial to it is because it is integrated with LANSweeper. I a not sure if it can be targeted to fit the client desktop as I never use VNC in that way. I like to keep it smallish on my screen.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My favorite is UltraVNC. Really nice Windows interface, and AD support!

http://www.uvnc.com
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    +1 for UltraVNC as well.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Sorry guys, I have to vote for Chicken of the VNC! The name alone had me sold
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    +1 for UltraVNC
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    functionality - UltraVNC

name - Chicken of the VNC

Remote site/different network support - TeamViewer

To be 100% honest I don't care for VNC. I think its unsecure. It does offer ease of use when you are trying to help someone out, though, which makes it preferable over Remote Assistance. There are better paid solutions, though.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I think its unsecure.

That totally depends on the package and version; some are terrible and others are good. You can also tunnel over SSH.
    dynamik wrote: »
    That totally depends on the package and version; some are terrible and others are good. You can also tunnel over SSH.

True, but I was moreso talking about the shared screen.

I actually like how RDP doesnt show your current session on the console monitor for others to see.

Where I used to work, one department used VNC on all their servers for internal stuff, i'd be in the datacenter working on a server when the monitor next to me starts showing activity. I could basically watch and see whatever the other guy was doing and he had no idea i was in there.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I use UltraVNC for friends / family computers...

For work we use RDP to Server, VNC for Thin Clients, and Dameware for Workstations and Notebooks.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dameware NT Utilities.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I could basically watch and see whatever the other guy was doing and he had no idea i was in there.
    Yeah that can be a problem. But, I've seen some VNC software (I think UltraVNC, maybe others) that let's you lock the local console session and blank the console monitor.

I generally use RDP if I need to remotely connect to Windows, but I use remote management tools like RSAT whenever possible. For Linux of course I use the command line via SSH.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    For paid versions, I like RAdmin or Dameware. As for free versions, UltraVNC gets my vote.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I don't use VNC much anymore, but I was always a fan of TightVNC.
    Yeah that can be a problem. But, I've seen some VNC software (I think UltraVNC, maybe others) that let's you lock the local console session and blank the console monitor.

I generally use RDP if I need to remotely connect to Windows, but I use remote management tools like RSAT whenever possible. For Linux of course I use the command line via SSH.

I try to use RSAT as well.

Unfortunately, though, I work on dozens of domains/servers a day all for different companies so I cant just connect from my workstation because trusts dont exist between everything.

I really miss working on one domain where I could sit at my workstation and do anything I needed to do on any server with either RSAT or Powershell.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UltraVNC on Windows machines and Chicken of the VNC on my MBP since it was the first Google result for Mac VNC client :D
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    I like Ultra VNC for VNC software - but I no longer use it.

We use Bomgar for all remote support.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I went from RealVNC to TightVNC and now I use only UltraVNC.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    I am using UltraVNC accessing the other domain that I managed since they are on the same subnet, impossible to use VPN inside my domain except when I am accessing at home(sister company). In our own branch offices, I used VPN and usually, RDP / Terminal services to manage them all....
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Dameware NT Utilities