Options

General virtualization question

Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
If you wanted a single server to host various virtual servers, each running within their own domains, would you need to link the virtualised server/s of each indiviudual domain to a SEPERATE physical network card?

I'm thinking of setting up a test environment with three seperate domains. I do not need the three domains to be able to see each other, however I would like the virtual servers to administer three seperate client PCs (not virtualised) connected to the host server via a switch.

Am I right by saying the the host server requires three separate NICs, each connected to their respective clients via a VLAN enabled switch?

This is probably a really simple/stupid question, but I'm new to this virtualization game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most virtualization packages allow you to setup virtual networks where you only link the VMs to each other. You wouldn't need a physical NIC for each VM.

Edit: Totally read your question wrong. You would however need a virtualization package that supports VLAN tagging. You could also add a multiport NIC if you just don't want to use a lot of slots on your motherboard. USB NICs could work in a test environment too if you simply don't have enough ports on your motherboard.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want each domain on it's own broadcast domain, you don't need three NICs if your switch has VLAN support. You can setup a VLAN trunk with just one NIC connecting to one switchport. This may be unnecessary, though, since for many lab scenarios it is OK if multiple domains are on a single broadcast domain. Just configure them with different subnets and in most respects they will be separate.

For example, if you configure domain 1 machines on 10.0.1.0/24 and domain 2 machines on 10.0.2.0/24, they generally won't interfere with each other. The exception is that broadcast traffic would hit both domains, but this is not a problem unless you need broadcast traffic to only one domain (for example, configuring IP addresses with DHCP).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV