Options

Weird issue

cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
I figured I'd throw it out there to you guys before I pull out wireshark tomorrow and dig deeper.

2 workstations are having the same issue. They are both Dell Precision T3400's.
Both are using the on-board Broadcom GigE Nic.

One is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.
One is running Win7 Ultimate X64

They plug into the network via dedicated keystone jacks. Those run back to a patch panel, which links them into one of our Juniper EX3200-24P access switches. (JunOS 10 by the way)

Those switches (5 total) all have 4x connections (LACP) each back to the main core switching platform (multiple Juniper EX4200 48T's, runnning JunOS 10, which are using 4x links (LACP again) between each other to form the "core".) I know, it's a bit complicated, but it performs like there's no tomorrow.

The two workstations in question have been fine up until today. The users are pretty savvy and I seriously doubt it's a virus or something of that nature (AV is updated every 4 hours, scans are run regularly, yada yada).

Today, they both started dropping their network connection randomly and sporadically. You know, the 'ole Windows "Your network cable is unplugged" message. They can't ping anything for several seconds, then then connection picks up again, and works fine for a while. Then it starts over again and again for the rest of the day.

On one (the Win 2003 EE machine), we uninstalled the NIC driver, rebooted, installed the latest driver. No dice. Same problem. Turned that NIC off in the BIOS. Installed another, different brand NIC. Picked up and ran fine for ~20 minutes. then it started again. Nothing has changed network-wise that could cause this.

What say you wise TE'ers?
“Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Speed and Duplex settings maybe? Anything relevant in the event logs? Perhaps hibernation, just a wild guess though.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You tried changing the patch leads? Are there any spare runs to those sockets you can swap it over to? Change the port on the switch?

You've already ruled out the NIC unless you happen to have picked another broken one as a replacement but that is a little unlikely.

I had a sporadic network connection problem for a user with random occurances as well. Tested everything and found it to be fine. Eventually worked out that it was because their neighbour was kicking the cable bundle under the desk. The movement was just enough to make it break the connection for a fraction of a second.