Options

An Interface that can't be removed?!

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
Hello everybody, I recently bought a 1711 NIB that comes with a WIC-4ESW. The WIC-4ESW installed doesn't have a screws on both left and right side so I can remove the WIC? I never seen this ever before, does anybody have any idea about how to remove it so I can install another card? Thanks in advance guys...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's probably just easiest to slip a small screwdriver in on each side by the screw holes and gently pry it loose.

I've had luck with Network Modules just unscrewing a screw from an old slot cover. I just tried two old WIC slot covers -- and one wouldn't let me unscrew the screw out of the cover, but the 2nd one did. So if you have another WIC or WIC Slot cover, see if you can use the screws from that.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Use a screw from another device or pop the cover off of the chassis so you can push the card out from the inside.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    Thanks a lot mike, CiskHo... For ur concern guys, I did everything possible, the screws are too big on the holes, I did even open the chassis and seems that the Cards are soldered into the motherboard by some other stupid screws that has no heads... I contacted the Seller and finally he answered with something I have never heared before, his Email reads :

"The 1711 routers have fixed WIC cards from Cisco, they are built-in and not entirely meant to be changed. The only way to get them out is to drill out the rivets holding them in there, then you can throw whatever card you needed in the router."

Fixed Configuration in 1711?!
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Doh! I didn't realized they still called it a WIC-4ESW if it was a permanent part of the chassis! Sorry for the confusion and thanks for posting the results.

FWIW, I'd be surprised if replacing the 4ESW with another card would work. Obviously its not meant to be replaced so why include support for other card types if they can't be installed (while keeping the chassis under warranty). Weird. I would definately verify the card can be replaced with a different model before I drilled it out!
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    CiskHo wrote: »
    FWIW, I'd be surprised if replacing the 4ESW with another card would work. Obviously its not meant to be replaced so why include support for other card types if they can't be installed (while keeping the chassis under warranty). Weird. I would definately verify the card can be replaced with a different model before I drilled it out!
    I have heard it is possible to remove the cards and use them in other devices and likewise, replace the cards with others. From what I remember the hardware is pretty generic, with the fixed configuration routers being for for marketing/sales reasons than technical. I have a 1711 on the way and I will prove or disprove this as the first thing I'm doing is popping the rivets out.

From memory though, I believe the 4ESW though is only supported on the 1700 range.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    Yes CiskHo, kinda weird... I thought it's a modular router as the other 1700 Series line, but seems I was wrong because the data sheet says something else regarding the 1711 and 1712 Cisco 1711 and 1712 Security Access Routers [Cisco 1700 Series Modular Access Routers] - Cisco Systems.

That's what I read too mikem2te, only supported on the 1700 Series. The 1711 is not a good investment for a lab thought.