USMT / Roaming user profiles

danc_101danc_101 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Maybe a stupid question but am I missing something with regards to using USMT in a domain environment. Why would you use USMT when upgrading / refreshing PC's when your users have roaming user profiles ? I can see why its needed for local users..

Comments

• dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Where have you found that it says that, I cannot think of a reason for using USMT in a roaming profile environment either, unlesswhen migrating from XP or similar you need it to sort out where the profilles info etc goes into ie c:\users\joeblo instead of c:\docs &set\joeblo
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You probably wouldnt. But other than really small setups RUP's are a real PITB, so its very likely that people wont be using them.
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    In most large environments I have worked in RP's are the bane of our existence. Users love them, but they cause many problems for the support staff.

So any time I setup a network, I start with local profiles unless the users demand RP's.

Drew
  • danc_101danc_101 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, but if you are only creating local user profiles - what's your backup strategy ?
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    For .Pst's (and all office products - .docx, etc.) = GPO redirects default "Save As" Location to their home directory on the server.

For everything else, users are told that if they want their data backed up it needs to be saved on their personal share or shared folder on the network.

Not perfect, but beats the tar out of RUP's.

Drew
  • danc_101danc_101 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fair enough - I prefer to take the choice away from users when it comes to backups..