Options

bsci best book to pass exam

dmb2002mandmb2002man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
what is the best book to start with for the bsci exam as i have seeing a bunch on amazon. cisco press 3rd version, 4th version, 5th version. I just finished my ccna security exam and want to start the bsci and finish by july. Also will finish bcmsn too. i found all these.

http://www.amazon.com/CCNP-Official-...ref=pd_sim_b_5

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Scala...ref=pd_sim_b_6

http://www.amazon.com/CCNP-BSCI-Offi...ref=pd_sim_b_6

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Scala...ref=pd_sim_b_7

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The usual place to start out is with the Cisco Press Authorized Self-Study Book to learn most, if not all, of the exam topic AND any other foundation material needed to understand the exam topic material -- when available.

Then hit up the Cisco Press Exam Certification Guide for your final review and prep for the exam.

Some people like the Portable Command Guide -- when it's available.

I personally like the Quick Reference Sheets as a hint for what's important (along with the exam blueprint) and a last minute review and time killer for when I get to the exam early on exam day.

The Lab Portfolios usually get good to rave reviews from the people who have used them.

For the "video people" there's the CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal videos.

The Cult of Chris Bryant members (from their CCNA days) usually just add the Chris Bryant Ultimate Study Guide to their study plan up front. Other people add Chris to the plan after a failure or two and they need something to get them over the hump.

For the latest greatest Cisco Press CCNP book information, it's probably easiest to go to the Cisco Press website CCNP web page and follow the link to the latest/current edition of books for the exam you are interested in.... Customers and Markets > About CCNP

If you're trying to beat the deadline for the old 642-901 BSCI exam, then you'd start with....
    If you've been working for a Cisco Business Partner and are already well versed and experienced on all the exam topics, you may be able to skip straight to the...
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The usual place to start out is with the Cisco Press Authorized Self-Study Book to learn most, if not all, of the exam topic AND any other foundation material needed to understand the exam topic material -- when available.

Then hit up the Cisco Press Exam Certification Guide for your final review and prep for the exam.

Some people like the Portable Command Guide -- when it's available.

I personally like the Quick Reference Sheets as a hint for what's important (along with the exam blueprint) and a last minute review and time killer for when I get to the exam early on exam day.

The Lab Portfolios usually get good to rave reviews from the people who have used them.

For the "video people" there's the CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal videos.

The Cult of Chris Bryant members (from their CCNA days) usually just add the Chris Bryant Ultimate Study Guide to their study plan up front. Other people add Chris to the plan after a failure or two and they need something to get them over the hump.

For the latest greatest Cisco Press CCNP book information, it's probably easiest to go to the Cisco Press website CCNP web page and follow the link to the latest/current edition of books for the exam you are interested in.... Customers and Markets > About CCNP

If you're trying to beat the deadline for the old 642-901 BSCI exam, then you'd start with....
    If you've been working for a Cisco Business Partner and are already well versed and experienced on all the exam topics, you may be able to skip straight to the...

mike,

The reason why i ask is because just because the book is the latest doesnt mean its always the best for the exam. I have found multiple post about people complaining about the 4th edition book but that is what cisco specifies. you can read this forum post and a guy studying for his bsci has found multiple errors in the 4th edition book.

7200emu.hacki.at :: View topic - eigrp redistribute connected, CCNP lab book pg 324

Even the ccna security book had errors too. Dont these authors double check there work.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    dmb2002man wrote: »
    Even the ccna security book had errors too. Dont these authors double check there work.
    I have yet to use a CiscoPress book that did not have an error (or multiple errors) in it icon_sad.gif Downloading the posted errata sheet is a must before you even crack the books open. Its sad... I guess they are in too much of a rush to get paid to double or triple check their work.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I have yet to use a CiscoPress book that did not have an error (or multiple errors) in it icon_sad.gif Downloading the posted errata sheet is a must before you even crack the books open. Its sad... I guess they are in too much of a rush to get paid to double or triple check their work.
    I don't think I have ever read a technical book with no errors/errata, Cisco or otherwise. The publishers are underpressure to get them in the shops in a reasonable time so errors are inevitable and usually not serious. The CCNA Security exam guide on the otherhand icon_sad.gif
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    Even CBT's have errors in them ;) non-tech books are no exception either.
    +1 for Chris Bryant
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    qplayed wrote: »
    Even CBT's have errors in them ;) non-tech books are no exception either.
    +1 for Chris Bryant

so you think the Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) would be a good start or the 4th edition. I see the 3rd gen is old. I am working with chris bryant now and he told me to get the 4th edition self study guide and use his material and gns3 and i shouldnt have a problem passing. what all did you use to pass the bsci?
  • Options
    lots of reading and lots of lab
    BSCI Study Guide/Cert Guide
    Chris Bryant
    Lab Portfolio
    TS/CBT
    TCP/IP Vol1/2 (doyle)
    well enough.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    so you think the Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) would be a good start or the 4th edition. I see the 3rd gen is old. I am working with chris bryant now and he told me to get the 4th edition self study guide and use his material and gns3 and i shouldnt have a problem passing. what all did you use to pass the bsci?
    What are your timescales? In otherwords are you planning on doing BSCI or Route? "Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 3rd Edition" IMO is a good start for either path and is a pretty good book. Once you have fininshed that book then look at

CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide, 4th Edition

Or

CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide

depending on which path you intend to go.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mikem2te wrote: »
    What are your timescales? In otherwords are you planning on doing BSCI or Route? "Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 3rd Edition" IMO is a good start for either path and is a pretty good book. Once you have fininshed that book then look at

CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide, 4th Edition

Or

CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide

depending on which path you intend to go.

i want to finish both the old bsci and bcnsm by july and then do the new tshoot to become ccnp certified.
  • Options
    GL! What's your study plan? How much experience do you have?
    well enough.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i want to finish both the old bsci and bcnsm by july and then do the new tshoot to become ccnp certified.

That's a tall order.....