Options

A+ preparation???

dingdong2dingdong2 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been working in IT for almost 2 years now and I've been messing around with computers my whole life. I've heard that the A+ is very basic stuff. I was wondering if I need to study or if I could just go take the test? Please give me an idea of what's on it (anything that you thought was hard or uncommon knowledge)?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look through the exam objectives and make sure you are comfortable with what they ask.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ask yourself if it helps with your goals. Perhaps you may want to go for something more challenging, like networking or servers. If you're already employed, maybe you could progress your skillset.
  • Options
    I am employed by a small network consulting company but i hate my job. My boss and some of my co-workers treat me like crap. I'm looking for another and I thought if the A+ is so easy i could get it pretty quick and then have one more thing for my resume. I am also working on the MCITP Server Administrator but that will take me a while.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Ask yourself if it helps with your goals. Perhaps you may want to go for something more challenging, like networking or servers. If you're already employed, maybe you could progress your skillset.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will most likely need to study as there are many topics and questions on the exam you dont deal with on a day to day basis at work. If you feel computer/desktop repair is basic to you, perhaps start looking at bigger technologies. Do you like programming? Network technology , Server Technology ? Voice Technology? Start looking into those larger technologies, each has so many sub-divisions.

For networking you can branch into several things, Routing and Switching, Security, Wireless, Design, VOIP.

VOIP is voip , choose a brand, Cisco, Avaya.

Server Technology: you can do windows servers, database administration (Oracle, SQL), citrix specialty, Virtualization (VMWARE), SAN technologies.

Programming: Choose a programming language.....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    I'm currently looking for another job and I thought if the A+ is so easy i could get it pretty quick and then have one more thing for my resume. I am also working on the MCITP Server Administrator but that will take me a while. So yes A+ is too basic for me but it is very helpful while looking for a job.
    chrisone wrote: »
    You will most likely need to study as there are many topics and questions on the exam you dont deal with on a day to day basis at work. If you feel computer/desktop repair is basic to you, perhaps start looking at bigger technologies. Do you like programming? Network technology , Server Technology ? Voice Technology? Start looking into those larger technologies, each has so many sub-divisions.

For networking you can branch into several things, Routing and Switching, Security, Wireless, Design, VOIP.

VOIP is voip , choose a brand, Cisco, Avaya.

Server Technology: you can do windows servers, database administration (Oracle, SQL), citrix specialty, Virtualization (VMWARE), SAN technologies.

Programming: Choose a programming language.....
  • Options
    ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I were you I would pick up an A+ book and an at least make sure you know the objectives. When I first took the A+, I took it litely and failed on first attempt although, like you, I had been messing around with computers for years and thought I knew everything. Nothing is worse than barely not passing an entry level test and being out $150 when you know you could have easily passed with just a little study.