VTP Question/Clarification

CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
Can anyone tell me if this Boson exam question/answer is flawed? It seems to contradict the info shown on page 89 (right next to Key Topic) of the CCNP Switch Official Exam Cerification Guide. Have I been staring at this book and exam sim for too long or should the correct answer actually be selection A? I just don't see how the new VTP server with a revision higher than zero would accept info from the original VTP domain (assuming said domain had a revision number of 0). Or are they saying the domain has a revision number higher than zero? Gee, I can't even tell what they are asking for anymore...

VTP_error.jpg
My Lab Gear:
2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    CiskHo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if this Boson exam question/answer is flawed? It seems to contradict the info shown on page 89 (right next to Key Topic) of the CCNP Switch Official Exam Cerification Guide. Have I been staring at this book and exam sim for too long or should the correct answer actually be selection A? I just don't see how the new VTP server with a revision higher than zero would accept info from the original VTP domain (assuming said domain had a revision number of 0). Or are they saying the domain has a revision number higher than zero? Gee, I can't even tell what they are asking for anymore...
    I've not started the Switch book in earnest but it looks slightly ambiguous to me. Does the new server have a revision higher than zero or does the existing domain have a revision number higher than zero?

Logically thinking the new switch would have a revision number of zero and the domain would be non zero so answer E should be correct, the new server learns the vlans.

Even if the new switch has a 'revision number higher then 0', there is not enough informaion in the question to make answer 'A correct, we don't know the revision number of the domain so we can't tell 100% that the domains vlan info will be overwritten.

EDIT : icon_scratch.gif
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Thanks for your input Mike. I just can't tell which has the revision number higher than zero... or whether they both do. Seems like a vague question with not enough detail but if these are the kind of questions on the exam then I need to figure out how they came up with E being the correct answer so that I am prepared. If they gave all the details about what each revision # was then it would be a no brainer.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Bad question IMO. I doubt you will see anything that ambiguous on the actual exam, I haven't.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Bad question IMO. I doubt you will see anything that ambiguous on the actual exam, I haven't.
    Thanks and THANK GOD!!! I was about to reschedule my exam to a later date once I started thinking about the wording of this question. I still managed to score a 949 on the 99 question Boson practice exam but missing the above really irked me. I think I'm going to go on and rescedule the exam for next Friday instead of the following Monday. No need to devote another w/e to SWITCH if I can go on and pass now. I know the ROUTE exam will be a "mutha" so I'd like to start on that ASAP.

Thanks guys!
    My Lab Gear:

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The point the question was probably trying to make was that when you change the VTP Domain, it resets the revision number to zero.

If the VTP Domain was null on the switch you added, what happens when you plug it into an existing network with a VTP Server?

What happens if you plug a VTP server with a different VTP Domain name into an existing configured VTP Domain?

Then you may want to ponder the situation where you have two switches with the same VTP Domain but not connected and with different VLANs -- What happens when you connect them? What if the revision numbers are equal and the VLANs are different?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Very bad question, not enough information given. I wouldnt sweat it, I dont remember seeing ambiguous questions like this on any on the NP stuff.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab