Options

What to do once CCNA?

hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
Pretty broad question, I don't want to go down the CCNP route just yet without some decent hands on experience, but i'd like to start working on refining my skills and obviously learning new stuff, what does everyone do once they are ccna, just stew on it for a while or does anyone else have any idea's on what to do next, obviously security intrests me alot so i'm thinking CCNA:S...

My fear is not remembering everything when it comes to moving into a job and not being able to back up my certification, so obviously practising everyday is important to me.

Anyone have any recommendations, perhaps books to check out ?
ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    hexem wrote: »
    Pretty broad question, I don't want to go down the CCNP route just yet without some decent hands on experience, but i'd like to start working on refining my skills and obviously learning new stuff, what does everyone do once they are ccna, just stew on it for a while or does anyone else have any idea's on what to do next, obviously security intrests me alot so i'm thinking CCNA:S...

My fear is not remembering everything when it comes to moving into a job and not being able to back up my certification, so obviously practising everyday is important to me.

Anyone have any recommendations, perhaps books to check out ?
    Personally I did CCNA:V then CCNA:S after the CCNA. I did the voice just for the reason that I like voice and it is a good introduction to things like E1, T1, PRI etc. I did security because I wanted to know more about firewalls, IPS etc - things that aren't covered much in the CCNA & CCNP.

From what I see most people jump straight into the CCNP and if your intention is the CCNP but not quite yet, then doing the CCNA:S now is pretty useful as a number of the topics in there are a good introduction to Switch/BCMSN topics (port security, private vlans, etc).
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know several people here enjoyed Network Warrior. That might be an option to look at and read through. I got my CCNA almost 2 years ago and I am already rusty on the material because I passed the test then never got a job relating to Cisco and hardly looked at the material afterwards.. Most people aren't looking to let an 18 year old kid loose on their network. I have a feeling that when I go to to my recert exam later this year that I am going to be trying to relearn a lot of information. For my Associate's degree, I did a Routing and Switching class based on some of the CCNP material so I learned a lot there. Also, I did an ASA class which taught me a lot too. I think the best option is to continue to grow in the Cisco realm if thats what you truly want to do. I love Cisco but it is so hard to find a job working in Cisco right away. I am now 20 years old with about 2 years of experience under my belt and I still doubt that I could obtain a Cisco-related job. Who knows maybe I'm not looking in the right places. There aren't many Jr. level jobs advertised around here. Most of the jobs that I see that are Cisco related are Senior level.

Overall, I think you should try to keep up with the knowledge you currently have whether it be continuing to study CCNA related material or moving onto the next test. You won't really know what track you want to go down until you get a job. I think that your employer is going to push you down one track or the other the most. I am thinking about starting Network Warrior after I finish my MCSA. It sounds like a great book for learning some of the missing material in the CCNA stuff.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I'm in the same boat. I didn't think I was ready for CCNP studies so I went for the CCNA:Sec right after finishing the CCNA. Supposedly it is the easiest of the concentration certs but I found that it was boring and it was hard to stay focused. I passed that and have moved into the CCNP stuff. I wanted to do CCNA Wireless but the lab gear for that is too pricey and I can't really leverage anything that I already own for wireless icon_sad.gif

I just finished the CCNP SWITCH book (testing next week) and I will say that there was VERY little in this book that was not covered in the CCNA studies. Now I hear the ROUTE is another matter all together and I'm sure TSHOOT will be challenging as well.

Where you go from here depends on what interests you and should probably be influenced by the job market in your area. If there were a lot of Voice jobs then I would suggest taking the CCNA:Voice. Based off my searching though I'd say it doesn't matter what area you study as far as current jobs go because there is very little out there!!! However, in a year or two that may not be the case and having additional certs would be a big + for you.

I'd also recommend that you study extra hard for the subjects that really interest you. Hopefully, once you are able to apply that knowledge on the job it won't even seem like work.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    Thanks guys, yeh the job market where i am is pretty weak in terms of networking related stuff, and even still, they will list CCNA with experience to back it up, or it's mostly senior positions for CCNP's.

Iv'e actually got network warrior, it's a cool book.

I may go with CCNA:s just for the fun of it (or lack thereof) with the boring material, but setting up vpn's, ids, ips and firewalls has always been something iv'e been into (i hate SDM tho.. ;] ill prolly do it all command line)

I may have a position coming up with my old company, they are primarily microsoft based and have client's with relatively small networks, altho some are quite large, maybe i can get them to start deploying cisco stuff.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

• Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    I personally am going to finish my CCNA, get the MCSA, and then do security. I'm hoping with the Microsoft certs in there I can have a better shot at getting a networking job with some cisco but not all cisco. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    I may go with CCNA:s just for the fun of it (or lack thereof) with the boring material, but setting up vpn's, ids, ips and firewalls has always been something iv'e been into (i hate SDM tho.. ;] ill prolly do it all command line)
    SDM is big in CCNA:S, if you go for the CCNA:S try to spend some time with SDM. Doesn't really require a great deal, just be familiar with it and where things are.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network Warrior is a good start.

And there's always Doyle Routing TCP/IP Volumes 1 and 2 to keep your skills sharp. If you've got a future in Cisco Networking you're going to probably read these a few times over your career -- may as well start now.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Network Warrior is a good start.

And there's always Doyle Routing TCP/IP Volumes 1 and 2 to keep your skills sharp. If you've got a future in Cisco Networking you're going to probably read these a few times over your career -- may as well start now.

+1 definitely pick up Network Warrior, im a CCNP and i picked up a few good points and tips in this book. This book will jump start you into CCNP by FORCE! you will feel its effect! lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    So many books so little time! I have a huge collection and it's hard to know where to start :P I'm kinda just playing around with thing's at the moment tryna pick up where the CCNA kinda drops you off (hey here's the fundementals now go find out the rest)
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So many books so little time! I have a huge collection and it's hard to know where to start
    Go knock out the CCNA:Security. It will keep you in top study shape while you ponder your Certification Future during your study breaks.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Network Warrior is a really good book, as everyone else said.

I think you should keep going. You don't necessarily have to take the tests, but grab some NP books and/or CBTNuggets and go through them. Then lab it all. It will keep what you've learned fresh and it will also build on it.
  • Options
    muonmuon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what do you do?

have a beer.