Options

building a lab..... help

MiscMisc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok so i don't have any certs yet.... i want to build a lab so i can practice and learn.... its been a while since i did really any thing technical. some how i got into the project management side of the IT industry and want to get into more hands on stuff cause i hate doing PM work. So here's the list i eventually want to get MCP MCSA MCSE CCENT CCNA A+ Network+ Security+ Hardware and software wise what should i get? right now i have 3 old comps that are just laying around collecting dust. oldest one was probably built 5 yrs ago or more.... so heres a list of what i think i will need 2 routers 1 switch rack c ables monitors 2008 server windows 7 (have vista and xp) What else do i need?

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For MCP/MCSA/MCSE you will need Server 2003, not 2008. The client exam for MCSA/MCSE can be XP, Vista, or 7, so you don't need 7 unless you want to learn it. For your lab you can likely use your existing PCs as long as they work. 5 years is not old for labbing.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Misc wrote: »
    MCP MCSA MCSE CCENT CCNA A+ Network+ Security+

In that order?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you've got a decent plan but like Menthol Moose said you need Server 2k3. I'm currently doing same thing here except I'm going for my MCIPT:EA and using Server 2k8. Just ordered switch off amazon and I already have several older computers (all at just 512 MB and barely within spec) to network. I actually need a more powerful main system but the budget doesn't allow it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    MiscMisc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mentalmoose thx for the tip . lol no not in that order. probably go with easiest to hardest. . yeah im probably going to see if i can buy some used stuff here first and look for good deals. what sucks is that at work im surrounded by tons of expensive network equipment that i can only send out and give to other groups to have installed. probably have 20k+ worth of equipment at my desk and millions of $ worth in the warehouse. we ship out 3750s and 4506 switches like there nothing. its all government property tho. we just ran thru inventory and since we no longer install 2950 switches we have to get rid of like 30 of them. there getting donated to schools and stuff. to bad i cant get one.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't forget the OS's need to be versions that can join a domain (no home versions). I didn't see any switches for sale on the for sale page. There were a couple of Cisco routers but they're way more than you probably need.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used only 1x PC (HP7700spf) for labbing my mcse stuff. Installed VMware Server (free) and starting building domains. Easy.

Forget the CompTIA stuff. Once you get an MCSA or CCNA, A+ etc will be redundant.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I highly recommend using this to save you time as well:

Run IT on a Virtual Hard Disk
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    If you're interested I have a 2514 with 16mb flash 16mb DRAM and 12.3 IOS, a 2650 with NM-8a/s, and two 2950's for sale. Shoot me a PM and we'll work it out.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU