Options

Needing Help on Selecting a router

Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am new to cisco and I am wanting to start off with at least one piece of equipment. I was thinking I should get a router to use as my internet access router. So I'm as I am trying to stay budget minded here what I'm looking for.

My internet speed is 15 down and 2 up. I running newsgroups which require full download bandwidth, several websites, and I want access to my network via vpn. All of this is for personal use only.

1. 2FE ports
2. IPSEC vpn
3. Firewall
4. Advanced Enterprise IOS support
5. SDM support.

If anyone has any idea or know where I can get something with these options cheaply. Or hey if you are willing to sell something like this on the cheap, Please let me know.
Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
Project+ and CIW Foundations.

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    a 2611XM would be the cheapest thing that meets those specs, though the CPU's in them aren't terribly powerful, and you'd run into issues downloading at a full 15megs with alot of the extra security features active (I can pull down 8 megs on my connection, and when I'm using BitTorrent, the sheer number of connections that the router has to handle for NAT pegs the CPU to the point where I can't get any SNMP info off of it)
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    a 2611XM would be the cheapest thing that meets those specs, though the CPU's in them aren't terribly powerful, and you'd run into issues downloading at a full 15megs with alot of the extra security features active (I can pull down 8 megs on my connection, and when I'm using BitTorrent, the sheer number of connections that the router has to handle for NAT pegs the CPU to the point where I can't get any SNMP info off of it)
    If you're ebaying, keep a look out for the 2621XM and 2651XM too, I have noticed they can be a bit cheaper, particularly the 2651XM as most people focus on the 2611XM and 2621XM models driving the price up a bit.

How do you connect to the internet? Is it via some cable modem or adsl modem?

EDIT : I just looked at the performance on the 2600XM series - the 2611XM is rated at 20000 packets per second, the 2621XM 30000pps and the 2651XM is 40000pps.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    I access the internet via Cable. Also Would I need to upgrade the router to get proper vpn service or would upgrading the IOS do that for me?
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The router itself can function as a vpn access server with the proper IOS image
  • Options
    Ok I just wanted to double check that.
    Goals for 2011.

• Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only thing is the 2611XM and 2621XM do not have 2 FE ports. The 2651XM does.

I just got a 2610 to handle internet, since it has two E ports but its just bringing a connection into my lab, not my home network.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    Jonk wrote: »
    Only thing is the 2611XM and 2621XM do not have 2 FE ports. The 2651XM does.

I just got a 2610 to handle internet, since it has two E ports but its just bringing a connection into my lab, not my home network.
    The 2600XM range have fast ethernet ports.

This link has a good summary on what ports these routers have-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/installation/guide/2600ch1.html

• Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    the 2610xm,2620xm have 1 fe port. the 2611xm,2621xm have 2 fe ports.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikem2te wrote: »
    The 2600XM range have fast ethernet ports.

This link has a good summary on what ports these routers have-

Cisco 2600 Series Routers Hardware Installation Guide - Overview of Cisco 2600 Series Routers [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems

I meant I picked up a non-xm 2610, sorry for not specifying.
    the 2610xm,2620xm have 1 fe port. the 2611xm,2621xm have 2 fe ports.

Woops, your right. Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that before.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    If you call cableandkits.com they will let you know what ios versions are on each router they have in stock. Their prices are fair and they have a 1 year warranty for most equipment.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    Would this be a good router to purchase or should I try for a 2651xm? I might as well get the most bang for my buck. I also see no reason not get to get max memory and flash out of it. So any ideas that you might have would be great.
    Goals for 2011.

• Options
    Krusty_47 wrote: »
    Would this be a good router to purchase or should I try for a 2651xm? I might as well get the most bang for my buck. I also see no reason not get to get max memory and flash out of it. So any ideas that you might have would be great.
    It looks a good router, the extra memory and flash could be worth it if you continue with Cisco certs.

I'm not sure what the market is like in the US but it looks a bit pricey compared to UK prices. You should be able to get cheaper by looking around and biding your time, that said you know what you would be getting (extra memory, correct bootrom, CD with SDM etc) which takes a lot of the gamble out if ebay.

• Options
    Well that's what I'm wondering. Also I'm thinking about setting up a voice system also. I'm sure it's a bit out of my league but hey working towards a goal you can't complain. Plus my work is thinking about moving over to a Cisco phone system so the more I can learn as quickly as possible would be great. Although I'm not to sure how the 2621xm would handle that kind of load. Having CME running 3-4 phones being the gateway router of my network. I don't think I would be able to afford a 2800 series router along with all the extra equipment I would need to set it up. These are all just thoughts and I'm not sure what I really want to do. But any feed back would be welcomed.
    Goals for 2011.

• Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Krusty_47 wrote: »
    I don't think I would be able to afford a 2800 series router along with all the extra equipment I would need to set it up.
    What about an 1800 instead of a 2800?
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    CiskHo wrote: »
    What about an 1800 instead of a 2800?
    Only the 1861 does voice and that tends to be significantly more expensive than a cheap 2801.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tiersten wrote: »
    Only the 1861 does voice and that tends to be significantly more expensive than a cheap 2801.
    2801 + the FXO/FXS cards etc... I mean