Vendor Certs Vs. Degrees

vijaycujovijaycujo Banned Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am not sure if this was posted already, if so please point to post.

What your take ?? Vendor Certs vs Degrees, i didn't finish my degree and just currently doing cert, A+, N+ and MCSA, finish 2 of my MCSA Messaging working on 3rd....would u hire someone in my position.

I currently work as a Jnr Systems/Network Admin for 3 yrs.

Comments

• AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In general, I have noticed that degrees are more closely looked for in managment.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Have to agree with the above post. Degrees in IT are usually needed for management positions. Plenty of CCNA and CCIE techs out there without degrees making a bundle of money. Its more work experience and certs that make a difference. Of course work experience is better than just having certifications.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, if you are looking at whether you should get your degree or get certs, get a degree. Without that degree you'd have a difficult time getting into an entry level position, especially when there are those who have the degree and even more so when they have that degree and the certs to go with it.

And when you do get that entry level position, you'll have to compete with co-workers who may have the degree that will have a leg up on you in that regard.

Go ahead, get your certs. But also focus on getting your degree as well. Even if it's an AAS its better than nothing, although I'd highly recommend getting a Bachelors degree. Sure, there are quite a few out there without their degrees that are making good money, but they got into IT at the right time and knew the right people and were able to move into the position that they are in by very hard work and building their experience.

In today's world, if you have no experience and no degree, it will be extremely difficult to move up in your career and make the money you want in the field you want. You'll want to show them that you can follow through with your goals (including getting a degree) and not someone who will give up when something difficult comes your way.