Options

BSCI Tomorrow

Me163Me163 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
My first attempt at the BSCI exam is scheduled tomorrow, and in reading this forum it seems like most people fail their first attempt icon_sad.gif needless to say it makes me a bit scared! Any advice for nailing this thing on the first try? And to those who passed on the second try, how did the first attempt change your approach?

For materials I'm mostly using the Cisco Learning Product 3.0 manuals (I don't see these mentioned much on the forum!), which I'm hoping target actual exam material more closely since they are used in the 2-week bootcamps. I'm also using CBT Nuggets, and of course GNS3.

Last minute tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    janez_drkjanez_drk Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi and good luck tomorrow. I also study for BSCI and I have the same certs as you.. Are you going for CCNP? If so, which exams do you plan to take beside BSCI.
    I hope that I'll be ready for BSCI in a month, with two months of studying behind me..and then to BCMSN and then TSHOOT...

I don't know much about your study material, but I would recommend you to watch TrainSignals videos because they go deeper then Jeremy..that's all..

I hope that you'll get it.. and please write how did you go..
  • Options
    janez_drk wrote: »
    Hi and good luck tomorrow. I also study for BSCI and I have the same certs as you.. Are you going for CCNP? If so, which exams do you plan to take beside BSCI.
    I hope that I'll be ready for BSCI in a month, with two months of studying behind me..and then to BCMSN and then TSHOOT...

I don't know much about your study material, but I would recommend you to watch TrainSignals videos because they go deeper then Jeremy..that's all..

I hope that you'll get it.. and please write how did you go..

I am going for the CCNP as well, and with the same exams you are (BSCI, BCMSN, TSHOOT). Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check out a few TrainSignal videos!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck on that...

I think the only advice any one can give is make sure you know the topics inside out. I currently studying for the SWITCH exam, and it just seems like they expect you know "Know" it.

I like to go in to exams with the feeling that I could have a conversation on any of the topics, with out feeling out of my depth. That if I was asked to I could happily set up a network balancing all the topics in to one working efficient system. And I understand why some one in the first place, bothered to take the time to develop the topic, and thought it was worth implementing for other people to use.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    My recommendation is know IPv6 inside and out. I would also know virtual links, and how to create them in an IPv6 environment. My failed attempt, gave me the ability to know where I was weak and gauge myself to review those certain areas, and go after it and pass the 2nd time. Just keep calm, know all the stuff you have studied, DO NOT burn yourself or cram tomorrow before the exam. I would review any aspects of IPv6 or multicasting that you may be questionable on. I think that will help you in the long run.
  • Options
    We should know the outcome soon!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Very helpful.

However, it was a fail icon_sad.gif

Not really a surprise though, I realized last night that I had more to study than I could possibly absorb.

Like many of you, I felt my weakest areas were definitely multicast and IPv6/OSPFv3 (billscott, you were dead on!). There was also a lab where I was sure I knew a few different ways to fix the problem, but the simulator didn't have the commands I wanted.

Since my exam scores were skewed because I ran out of time (because of the aforementioned lab), I couldn't really get a super clear indication of what I need to work on, but I think I have a general idea.

I'm looking forward to working on my weak areas... I think the plan now will be to check out the Chris Bryant videos, as well as the Self-Study Guide.

To other first time takers - DevilWAH was right, you really have to know the topics inside and out!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Me163 wrote: »

Not really a surprise though, I realized last night that I had more to study than I could possibly absorb.

Like many of you, I felt my weakest areas were definitely multicast and IPv6/OSPFv3 (billscott, you were dead on!). There was also a lab where I was sure I knew a few different ways to fix the problem, but the simulator didn't have the commands I wanted.

Since my exam scores were skewed because I ran out of time (because of the aforementioned lab), I couldn't really get a super clear indication of what I need to work on, but I think I have a general idea.

I'm looking forward to working on my weak areas... I think the plan now will be to check out the Chris Bryant videos, as well as the Self-Study Guide.

To other first time takers - DevilWAH was right, you really have to know the topics inside and out!

Sorry to hear that mate, but at lest you have learnt what's needed and your sure to nail it next time.

I know IPv6 is going to be a big issue for me in the ROUTE exam, I really don't use it at all at the moment and at first glance it seems a bit of a black art...

Since starting my SWITCH, my method of study has changed slightly. First I have just been going through and playing on a single device, just typing commands, and seeing where they are and learning the basic formate, Ie. where you apply them(global/interface) and what order you can enter them in. Not aculy setting any thing up just getting a feel for things using the "tab" and "?" to find my way around. And only once I have a idea about this, then going on to configure both sides and get a working system. I find this helps me remember all the commands and where to find them, much better than just setting up simulations.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Me163 wrote: »

What was your score? Do you mind sharing? My first fail I got a 783. I think you need 790 to pass right? I would have passed 1st try if I would have touched more on IPv6. I know how you feel about the commands, that's the same thing that happened to me. Just touch your weak areas, how long are you giving yourself before your 2nd attempt? I know you have to atleast wait 7 days, I think.