Options

Frame relay router

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I had a thread here before about building a home-base lab. Someone had mention to get a 2521 router for Frame Relay switch.
I bought 3 of 2620 routers and 3 WIC-1T. I am planning to get a better router like XM and switches for my lab when I get some cash.

Anyways I should I get a 2521 router for my Frame relay or a NM-4A/S module for 1 of my 2620 router?

I was suppose to get the 2521, but the price is $100 including shipping/handling. And I stumble upon on NM-4A/S, and it looks like I can use it as frame relay(not sure). I am trying to save some money that is why I am looking at the NM-4A/S.

Any opinion on this?
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    I use a NM-4A/S as a frame relay switch and it works well.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    I have a 2620xm with 4a/s and a 2611 with a 8a/s for use in frame relay.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    Is it compatible with my 2620(regular)?

How's the performance between NM-4A/S vesus the 2521?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Are you going to put this in production or just deploy in a lab? If the latter, then it really doesn't matter, either option will perform the function you're looking for
  • Options
    Are you going to put this in production or just deploy in a lab? If the latter, then it really doesn't matter, either option will perform the function you're looking for
    It will be in my lab.

Thanks
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Then you'll be fine going with the NM-4A/S, I use a 2620 with an NM-8A/S as the frame-relay switch in my lab
  • Options
    Ok thanks everyone
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    mikem2te wrote: »
    I use a NM-4A/S as a frame relay switch and it works well.

Same here
    Kam.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    The 2620 and the 2621 have the same processor speed and if fitted with the same amount of DRAM will function identically. The only difference is the added FE port on the 2621, but if you are using it for a frame relay switch that wont matter. I use a 2650 with a NM-8a/s and it works great. I'm sure you'll be fine using one of your 2620's for it. How much DRAM are you running? If you're really low you might want to put in a little more, but it really doesnt take much to run a FR switch.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Start of spam ;)

I have a 2521 for sale, £25 +£12 p+p (UK)

End of spam :)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using a 2520 that I got shipped on eBay for less than $40.

Doing all the Chris Bryant ICND2 Labs without any issues so far (Frame Relay - w/RIP2, OSPF and EIGRP on top).