What do you guys suggest I use for labs for this test?

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
I've ordered the MS Press Book which has plenty of labs, and the 70-291 Exam Cram. Will this be enough to pass the test or do you think I will need more than just this?

I have 2-3 years of Server 2003 experience, but networking is admittedly my weak point.
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• avladavlad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    no single book is enough for an exam. You need at least 3 or more:
    1. MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-291): Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network Infrastructure, Second Edition
    2. DNS on Windows Server 2003 by Oreilly
    3. Active Directory® for Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Technical Reference --> good also for other MS exams

I recommend also to get the exam objective and search TechNet after them.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    avlad wrote: »

I wouldn't say 3 or more is necessary for every exam. For tough networking exams like this one and Cisco exams, needing a fair number of resources is more likely. There are some exams out there (e.g. some CompTIA exams) that might only need one or two resources.

That DNS and Windows book is a great recommendation. I'm reading it currently. I have the Exam Cram-- I'm not finding it that useful except for review. ExamForce practice tests have been helpful too.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    petedude wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 3 or more is necessary for every exam. For tough networking exams like this one and Cisco exams, needing a fair number of resources is more likely. There are some exams out there (e.g. some CompTIA exams) that might only need one or two resources.
    True.
    For Net+ I only used 1 book (CompTIA Press CompTIA Network+ Certification 2009 ed.) and made an 865. For Sec+ I used 4 book and made an 855. For the 70-620 I used just the MS Press trainig Kit and had to do a retakeicon_cry.gif. Used Transcender and measure up to help find weak spots and used several different books on those weak spots.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    avlad wrote: »
    1. MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-291): Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network Infrastructure, Second Edition
    2. DNS on Windows Server 2003 by Oreilly
    3. Active Directory® for Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Technical Reference --> good also for other MS exams

I recommend also to get the exam objective and search TechNet after them.

Book 1 in your list is what I meant by the MS Press Book.

Is the DNS book by Oreilly really necessary? I will check it out if it is but I can't imagine reading an entire book just about DNS...at least not as a systems guy. If you think it's a must read though I will pick it up.

Thanks for the friendly advice, you all have been very helpful.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Before I go out and buy this DNS book, can one of you tell me if this is the book you're talking about?

Thanks!
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Before I go out and buy this DNS book, can one of you tell me if this is the book you're talking about?

Thanks!

Yup. Good book, too.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers