Options

How deep do I need to know subnetting?

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
How do deep do you need to know subnetting for the 70-642?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Not very. If you can do some basic subnetting you'll do fine. Its not a heavily covered topic.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I need to know this too. The MS press book covers it pretty deep and the test is all multiple choice so I can assume you'll need to know how many hosts, address blocks etc.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    I think that if you learn it, then you have no fear.

I actually went to my Cisco guys at work and they had some very good basic subnetting theory which I worked off. That and the MS Press books.

Know how to subnet and supernet IP's. Should get you through.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea dude, just learn it. Once it clicks you know it forever. It's really not that bad.
  • Options
    I guess my biggest fear is that it hasn't clicked. I tried Odom's trick but that is just not working for me, any suggestions?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I tried Odom's trick

Theres your first mistake. Odom has the worst way of eplaining subnetting. In my opinion, Jeremy Ciora explains it best on CBT Nuggets' ICND1 series.

Also, you should concern yourself with knowing subnetting to know subnetting, and not just for some test.

Subnetting is so much easier than you are making it out to be. If you can add, subtract, and multiply, then you can subnet.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    cideboycideboy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I'm also studying for the 70-642 exam, and I thought that it explained it really well in the MS Press book.
    I've got my network+, but it didn't really click until I read through this book, and now I feel really good at it.
  • Options
    daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    -Sun Tzu-
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    daveccna wrote: »

+1 x 10000

That thread is the sole reason I can answer most subnetting questions quickly and accurately.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Reading through this section of th preview of network warrior is helping me
    Network Warrior - Google Books
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    marticusmarticus Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found this good for practice

IP Subnet Practice
  • Options
    swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This was a great way of quickly testing my subnetting knowledge when I was going through it. I agree with phoeneous, Jeremy on the CBT Nugget videos had the best explanation for it yet. It's really not very scary, but bad teachers will make you think it is :)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need to do it. But you get scratch paper, and usually a calculator. Shouldn't be too bad.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    St3yrSt3yr Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Save the hosts! :)

+1 for Jeremy; easy to remember.
    WIP: VCP vSphere 4.0
  • Options
    ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Play the cisco subnetting game if you need practice. I've never understood why some people find it so complicated. It's pretty basic math, and like all math, practice makes you better at it. It's also pretty fundamental to networking, so forget about how much is required on the exam and just learn it...
  • Options
    ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=&quot]IPv6 (Subnetting - CIDR Notation) - Saw a few questions on this and nothing about IPv4 subnetting. It was my weakest area on the test but I still squeeked by. I was surprised to see that many questions on it really
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The test may not hit IPv4, and barely hit IPv6 (although, I remember a bunch of them); but, in the real world there are seriously important. Being able to glance at a network diagram and have an idea of how many (maximun) hosts you need to deploy an application to, lets you quickly calculate bandwidth needs. This is a common job for a Windows admin.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    Ashenwelt wrote: »
    The test may not hit IPv4, and barely hit IPv6 (although, I remember a bunch of them); but, in the real world there are seriously important. Being able to glance at a network diagram and have an idea of how many (maximun) hosts you need to deploy an application to, lets you quickly calculate bandwidth needs. This is a common job for a Windows admin.
    A real world use for that type of skill. Thanks Ashenwelt!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How about just having one of these charts handy ~

A chart describing CIDR subnets
  • Options
    I find it interesting that I am still getting responses to a question I asked in April :)

Thanks for all the comments, and suggestions made for the 70-642. I will be sure to use them when I start studying for it. I'm getting excited about finishing of the 70-680 and starting on server path icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    I'm still getting some responses to a question about subnetting I asked a while ago, too. I saw the same type question on a measure up test.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/54495-subnetting-question.html
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    A real world use for that type of skill. Thanks Ashenwelt!icon_thumright.gif

No problem:)

I actually just had to plan out a deployment of SCCM advanced client to 10,000 machines (and SP3) over variable speed connections, to variable subnets. Quickly estimating saves a lot of stress... especially if you make a mistake and deploy to 300+ machines over a single T1... (no, I didn't do it).

As for old questions... sometimes they need more material added for people:)
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    Ashenwelt wrote: »
    especially if you make a mistake and deploy to 300+ machines over a single T1... (no, I didn't do it).

That makes me cringe... icon_pale.gif
  • Options
    Just go ahead and learn it. It's math so it'll require a little practice to learn though. You can expect MS to throw you at least one curveball question on subnetting, maybe more. It could be the difference between passing and failing the exam.