Options

Thousands of blank emails to System Attendant

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
Our system attendant box has about 130,000 blank emails in it starting back around last Wednesday, and they're all from users who have iPhones. It's generating around 2 emails per second! I've got my Exchange account set up on my Droid and it's not happening with me. The majority of the emails are coming from my boss. Anyone else here ever seen this? Not sure exactly what's causing this!
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Possibly malware. If I remember rightly there was one floating around a while back that tried to send malformed texts to gain root access, it spread through wifi and if the users had not modified the SSH credentials.
    Or if the company has a new app. that's meant to tie into your alerting systems etc. it may be badly configured. See what they all installed on that day (if there is anything common).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Huh, well rebooting the Exchange server seems to have alleviated the problem. Seems that it had done an update and was requesting a reboot, but nobody noticed it. Whoops.

So now the System Attendant mailbox has 170,000 messages in it. Just trying to delete them in Outlook locks it up. Is that a mailbox I can delete and recreate, or should I just use Exmerge to get them out?
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Don't delete the System Attendant mailbox. You can delete the emails in batches or try ExMerge.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    arwes wrote: »
    Huh, well rebooting the Exchange server seems to have alleviated the problem. Seems that it had done an update and was requesting a reboot, but nobody noticed it. Whoops.

So now the System Attendant mailbox has 170,000 messages in it. Just trying to delete them in Outlook locks it up. Is that a mailbox I can delete and recreate, or should I just use Exmerge to get them out?

With large numbers of messages like that you need to delete, you might want to try a rule that deletes by logic what would match the messages. Deleting the System Attendant mailbox is not recommended.
    Good luck to all!