Options

Outlook problems

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello, at my job I am having problems with someones email. We recently reformatted her pc and put al the software back on.. outlook, and office completely. Lately she called me because when she clicks on her archived folders outlook will just display "this folder cannot be found/displayed" something like that. So I closed outlook and reopened it and it seemed to open up the archive files fine. A couple of days have passed and she called me again, with same problem when she was trying to move one of emails from her inbox into an archive folder saying cannot move file to that folder or cannot open folder. I have no idea what this could be, and she's getting mad now.. help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Where is the PST file located? If it is on a network drive try moving it to a local drive.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Hello, is the user using a PST file or is this in her mailbox? How many items does the folder have? If it is a high item folder outlook has to build the view which if the user isn't patient could lock up outlook. You can try this at the run box for something quick:

outlook /cleanprofile
    outlook /cleanfreebusy
    outlook /cleandmrecords

Run the detech and repair under help. These probably won't fix the issue you have at hand but won't hurt. Also, you can press and hold down Ctrl, then right-click on the Outlook icon in the taskbar at the bottem right hand corner next to the clock, choose Connection Status and try to reconnect and view the status.

Sounds like the issue could be RPC related. You might want to set up a perfmon with the excahnge server she connects to and use these counters:
    RPC Averaged Latency
    RPC Operations/sec
    RPC Requests

Does restarting Outlook fix the problem for her? Does restarting the computer fix the problem for her? What version of Outlook is she running?
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    Where is the PST file located? If it is on a network drive try moving it to a local drive.

+1 yes, if the PST is on the network and not the local computer then move it to the computer as rsutton suggested.
  • Options
    She has outlook 2007 and what I was thinking was that I did create a .pst file on her home folder which is on a local drive, while theres the other one by default on the office outlook folder.
  • Options
    Please go to Tools, Account settings, data files and verify the location of the PST. Thanks you.
  • Options
    problem is she has one of her .pst files which has some stuff backed up in her Home folder which is a folder on a server... for documents. Then there's the default .pst file created by outlook on the local drive.. so she has 2 .pst files, this is what I believe is creating the conflict.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure you can have multiple .PST files. You said in the initial post that you have no idea what is going on so why don't you heed the advice of the others here. I don't know much about outlook but these guys sound like they do.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Darian929 wrote: »
    problem is she has one of her .pst files which has some stuff backed up in her Home folder which is a folder on a server... for documents. Then there's the default .pst file created by outlook on the local drive.. so she has 2 .pst files, this is what I believe is creating the conflict.

Obligatory Post:
    Ask the Performance Team : Network Stored PST files ... don't do it!

You can have multiple PST files, but you will want them all on local storage. Disconnect the network PST from Outlook through File -- Data File Management. Copy it local and then reconnect it through Data File Management.

Best choice is to not have PST files and use group policy to prevent their creation. Then you can use a 3rd party archive tool such as Mimosa or Enterprise Vault, or you can upgrade to Exchange 2010 which has both archiving and support for large mailboxes.
  • Options
    benidormhotelsbenidormhotels Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't find any refresh button with the outlook 2007. Anyone here know how to refresh the out look email account
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I don't find any refresh button with the outlook 2007. Anyone here know how to refresh the out look email account

F5 - should work

Or

Try:
    Outlook 2007 - Inbox does not refresh - Tech Support Guy Forums

Outlook 2007 does not refresh inbox upon receipt of new email - Server Fault

The key is the "Customer Experience Improvement Program"
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?