Options

Intenal/External DNS

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright, we just took on a client and their internal and external domain namespaces are the same. (e.g. company.com )

They would like to be able to get to their site via company.com rather than Company.com. I think the only way to really do that withouth messing up DNS would be just install IIS and redirect them from the DCs?

Ideas?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    you can set up records in the internal DNS for WWW. (or whatever subdomain name they use)

The problem is if they use a lot of subdomains (support.company.com, HR.company.com) instead of just subdirectories (company.com/support, company.com/hr). It makes it become a headache.

You could also do a splitDNS.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, really that is all that can be done if they insist on not typing the www. At least as far as I know.

1. Install IIS with a redirect.
    2. Add www record to DNS (although it seems they already have that).
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    It helps if I read the whole post before replying. lmao.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    This is why split DNS is a good thing.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks everyone.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    you can set up records in the internal DNS for WWW. (or whatever subdomain name they use)

The problem is if they use a lot of subdomains (support.company.com, HR.company.com) instead of just subdirectories (company.com/support, company.com/hr). It makes it become a headache.

You could also do a splitDNS.

I think you didn't understand his post because the forum altered it to display a link. The customers do not want to have to type the www. They only want to type company.com and be taken to the web page.

Also, to the OP. Train them to type company and then press ctrl + enter. This will fill in the www. and the .com.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We have the same scenario at my company. We have a DNS service provider for our external DNS, so we can set company.com tp resolve the address of our web site for external users. Internally, of course it does not. Our Sales and Marketing was fine with the explanation that it only works outside.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same thing for a site I was at. Some IT Consulting firm installed the network, but did not realize when the setup the domain, it was the same as their website. The only thing they did was add the www. rule so they can get to their site.

I took it one step furthure and setup the IIS redirect. Now they can use www. or just the domain in any case.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also, to the OP. Train them to type company and then press ctrl + enter. This will fill in the www. and the .com.

Cool, I just learnt something.
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    icon_smile.gif Glad to help!
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    mikedisd2 wrote: »

shift + enter = .net
    ctrl + shift + enter = .org