Options

I'm an addict....

*BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Buying equipment is addicting!! I've started on my home lab and have picked the following up in the last week.

2x3550 POE with SMI (upgrading to EMI)
2x2620XM with WIC-1DSU-T1
2620 with NM-4E and two WIC-1T's (part of the package w/ 1 switch and 2511)

Looking at getting two 3640's with max mem or two 2651xm's (leaning towards 3640's) and a 2950 along with some more WIC-1T's and NM-_A/S modules. I cant stay off of ebay or craigslist LOL.

Thanks to you all for the info you add to this forum regarding hardware. Definitely a wealth of knowledge as I've been burning up the search feature figuring out what to get.
Procrastinator extraordinaire

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Yea, I had the same thing for awhile. The stuff just piles up.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    *BB* wrote: »
    Buying equipment is addicting!! I've started on my home lab and have picked the following up in the last week.

2x3550 POE with SMI (upgrading to EMI)
    2x2620XM with WIC-1DSU-T1
    2620 with NM-4E and two WIC-1T's (part of the package w/ 1 switch and 2511)

Looking at getting two 3640's with max mem or two 2651xm's (leaning towards 3640's) and a 2950 along with some more WIC-1T's and NM-_A/S modules. I cant stay off of ebay or craigslist LOL.

Thanks to you all for the info you add to this forum regarding hardware. Definitely a wealth of knowledge as I've been burning up the search feature figuring out what to get.
    heheicon_lol.gif. I know what you mean, I have way too much equipment - enough for a full CCIE lab and more. ebay is just too addictive.

My policy now is only buy something if I can sell it for a profit, problem is I never get around to selling them.

I don't think the 3640 supports 12.4T while the 2651XM will go to 12.4(15)T.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I might look in to some more routers as mike is correct the 3640's don't support the T feature sets.

I not sure how much this is needed for the CCNP buts its nice to have a few devices in your labs that can run the latest feature sets for testing stuff out you are doing at work, even if it is not what you are studying for.

I know there is another 3750G switch laying around at work. I wondering if it happen to appear in my lab how long before it was noticed.... :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I know there is another 3750G switch laying around at work. I wondering if it happen to appear in my lab how long before it was noticed.... :)
    Aaah whats that saying, green with envy.

• Options
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Aaah whats that saying, green with envy.

yer I know I am quite lucky.

but it says something about my company.

currently in my spares there are

2x3750 12port fibre switches
    3x3750 48port PoE
    and 2 (well one now i have borrowed it) 24 port 3750G.

All of them have been sitting there for about a year!!

I did an audit of site of switch ports in use and that was what I came up with as spare capacity.

and the 3 X 3550's in my lab are also spares that have been sitting around for ever not used.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Being an addict will assure your mental interest in the subject icon_cheers.gif

I havent played with my lab in awhile, i have just been on GNS3 working with a lot of routing topics. I need to get me some 3560's and an ASA5505.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    I havent played with my lab in awhile, i have just been on GNS3 working with a lot of routing topics. I need to get me some 3560's and an ASA5505.

actuly this is a good point.. GNS3 is a great way to add a few devices to you lab that you don't want to fork out for. Espicaly when it comes to the later feature sets, that you need reccent equipment to run
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Being an addict will assure your mental interest in the subject icon_cheers.gif

I'm using GNS3 more now I've started working on Route. It's great for using Wireshark for sniffing the inner workings of routing protocols.

I still use real stuff for labs as GNS is far to flakey for full blown labs so I still feed my ebay addition regularly.

• Options
    My main issue with GNS3 is it dosent seem to play nice with VISTA.... (why I still use vista I don't know)

But I might cobble to gather a machine with a few NIC's in it running GNS3 when I get on to my ROUTE exam and bolt it on to the side of my lab.
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    talk about addiction....I thnk we should start a network gear anonymous :D
    my lab is as crazy as anyones :)
    Index of /cisco.juniper

and I'm shopping around for some 2811/3560 and some juniper ssg
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    My main issue with GNS3 is it dosent seem to play nice with VISTA.... (why I still use vista I don't know)

But I might cobble to gather a machine with a few NIC's in it running GNS3 when I get on to my ROUTE exam and bolt it on to the side of my lab.
    I find the UI crashes quite often on Win 7.

I tried the lab scenario from the BSCI study guide, I think it has 11 routers. dynamips itself handled it fine after setting the idlepc values but every second or third time I treid to save the topology the GNS3 UI would hang.

Now I just use it for small topologies and I'm often heard swearing at iticon_twisted.gif

• Options
    qplayed wrote: »
    talk about addiction....I thnk we should start a network gear anonymous :D
    my lab is as crazy as anyones :)
    Index of /cisco.juniper

and I'm shopping around for some 2811/3560 and some juniper ssg
    Excellent idea.

I keep seeing reasonably cheap 3750G S/SMI switches which I understand can be easily upgraded to the full EMI IOS for lab use.

Some one talk me out of it!!

• Options
    I tried messing with GNS3 and I just couldnt deal with having to learn how to use it, just to configure routers. I've got a low threshold for dealing with stuff like that lol.

As far as my decision between the 3640's and 2651xm's, not sure what to get yet. MPLS is something I need to really want to work on and understand as that is what we are using on our network at work, and from what I've read, they will both those routers will support it.

More research!
  • Options
    I tried messing with GNS3 and I just couldnt deal with having to learn how to use it, just to configure routers. I've got a low threshold for dealing with stuff like that lol.

As far as my decision between the 3640's and 2651xm's, not sure what to get yet. MPLS is something I need to really want to work on and understand as that is what we are using on our network at work, and from what I've read, they will both those routers will support it.

More research!

I found learning how to set up GNS3 acutely teaches you a bit about networking in general.

But when it comes to Labbing I think I am going to set up a LINUX box and do away with the GNS3 front end completely and just use dynamips. All GNS3 really seems to do is give you a network digram.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if the 2600XM series supports MPLS on 12.4 / 12.4T IOS. You may need to install 12.3.

Like you say, more research!
    All GNS3 really seems to do is give you a network digram.
    And crash lots. I'll be interested how you get on with dynamips on Linux.

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not sure if the 2600XM series supports MPLS on 12.4 / 12.4T IOS. You may need to install 12.3.

Like you say, more research!

And crash lots. I'll be interested how you get on with dynamips on Linux.

Dynamips/dynagen on Linux is the way to go. I use it on XP and Vista with no issues also. I've never been a fan of GNS3, but I haven't given it a chance in a few years so it might be better by now. Doesn't sound like it from this thread though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Dynamips/dynagen on Linux is the way to go. I use it on XP and Vista with no issues also. I've never been a fan of GNS3, but I haven't given it a chance in a few years so it might be better by now. Doesn't sound like it from this thread though.

It is better but still far from perfect :)

also version 3.0.7 was released a feew weeks back and I have not tested this yet
  • Options
    I'm currently thinking about selling off a lot of my IE rack.

R1 2620XM
    R2 2610XM
    R3 3640
    R4 3725
    R5 3640
    R6 2801
    SW1 3560
    SW2 3560
    SW3 3550
    SW4 3550
    FR 2621 + NM-16A/S
    TermServer 2620 + NM-16A
  • Options
    pity I think the postage to the UK is a bit high ;)

Plus wife would kill me..... She keeps telling me that I should spend money on getting ready for baby and not Geek stuff :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    pity I think the postage to the UK is a bit high ;)

Plus wife would kill me..... She keeps telling me that I should spend money on getting ready for baby and not Geek stuff :)

The better geek you are the better you can provide for the baby. So, by buying more geek stuff you actually are getting ready for the baby!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    The better geek you are the better you can provide for the baby. So, by buying more geek stuff you actually are getting ready for the baby!
    That's exactly how I explained it to my wife when she was prego. Unfortunately, getting the CCNA didn't pan out to a better paying job (yet) and in order to actually use my skils on the job I would have to take a 33% pay cut. Hopefully the job market is better in your area/s.

Colby: I would be interested in some of it but would need more specific part numbers and cost!
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    Not sure if I'm going to ship anything. I'm super lazy. I was thinking of throwing it up on craigslist or something.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    icon_scratch.gif So what's the purpose of listing what you are thinking of selling on a website other than craiglist? icon_scratch.gif

Regardless, best of luck thinning your herd :)
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    We were talking about gear we've collected, seemed appropriate to me.
  • Options

:)

nah to be fair she's a great wife, she puts up with all the Geeky stuff (is even interested in some of it) And she doesn't moan when I stay up till silly hours in the morning to as she puts it "play with my cisco stuff". And I really don't need any more stuff. icon_lol.gif

CiskHo, I know what you mean, but I never really expected the CCNA to get me very far, I happy to stay in the current job untill I have my CCNP before I think about moving on in my job, I know I have a great postition to learn and get experince so happy to stay here for now.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567

I dont think you'll get any mpls functionality out of a 261x XM or 262x XM router. The only XM model mpls is available on is the 265x XM series. Thats what I've run across in the past anyways.
  • Options
    I ended up going with the 2651XMs. Should have the them next week. Now I just need to score a 2950 and a rack and I should be set.