Options

My website keeps going down on WS2k3 server

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently installed a web server at home

It's running as a DNS server (no/not domain controller), .NET framework 3.5 & SQL Express Server 2008

The two website I have on it are both made with Visual Web Developer and i've changed the HTTP headers to manage which website is served to suit requests.

Network wise I have a ADSL connection with a simple port forwarding from the modem to the server.

The Problem:

From time to time the sites go down, seemingly when nothing else is happening on the network. When they're down if I turn on a PC on the netwok and go on the internet the sites on this server come up again?

I'm going to look over all the netwok setting on the switch etc at the weekend. Any ideas why this could be?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This sounds like an IP address conflict. Once I purchased a consumer grade wireless AP. It's management address was static at 192.168.1.35, for example. When I would be working on it and testing certain configs the front office would call and say their printer stopped working. Of course the real issue was they were unknowingly sending print jobs to the AP...
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Actually it sounds like a power management/security setting on the router or ADSL modem. Some models offer a feature that if no traffic is flowing through it, it will enter into a power saving state/shut down all traffic flow until outbound traffic flow occurs again. I know some popular models of Motorola cable modems did this.

It would explain why powering on an internal machine and surfing a web site on the net restores connectivity.

Edit: To help confirm, you might try setting up a batch file that does a terminal ping to an internet IP on the web server, and let it run. See if the issue goes away. :)
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Actually it sounds like a power management/security setting on the router or ADSL modem. Some models offer a feature that if no traffic is flowing through it, it will enter into a power saving state/shut down all traffic flow until outbound traffic flow occurs again. I know some popular models of Motorola cable modems did this.

It would explain why powering on an internal machine and surfing a web site on the net restores connectivity.

Edit: To help confirm, you might try setting up a batch file that does a terminal ping to an internet IP on the web server, and let it run. See if the issue goes away. :)
    Yes, did not read the post clearly. I agree.
  • Options
    thanks guys, good suggestions, i'll give these a try
  • Options
    It looked like it was a setting on the modem, I've set a keepalive for every 3 minutes, it was set to dial on demand.

Thanks guys excelent help, hope this was the problem