Options

How much Vista is on the 2009 exam?

dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. Getting closer to taking my 701 and 702 exams. My only experience with Vista is from the book. Can someone advise (who has taken both exams) how much general Vista questions and navigation are on there?

Comments

• Options
    EdgarcparraEdgarcparra Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took both parts and passed this week. There weren't many questions as far as navigation on vista. For the 702 a question asked me how to navigate to the users folder in Vista and XP so you should know the paths for a user in Vista and XP

However, there are a bunch of questions as far as navigation in Windows in general. Such as how to get to services, disk management, computer management, so make sure you know the command lines and how to get there through control panel or w.e
  • Options
    ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same here. I just took both a month ago. 701 is pretty much a breeze as long as you know the basics. Know commands such as MSCONFIG, netstat, etc.

702 was a little more in depth. Definitely know file structures in XP vs Vista (ie, where to find user settings). Also know how to use commands, fix boot problems and some basic RAID.
  • Options
    dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great - thanks. Incidentally in XP: to access users I could go Control Panel > User Accounts or (add a User) Right Click My Comp > Manage > Local Users and Groups > Users

How are these in Vista? I think both are very similiar no?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great - thanks. Incidentally in XP: to access users I could go Control Panel > User Accounts or (add a User) Right Click My Comp > Manage > Local Users and Groups > Users

Make sure you play with Vista before you go in for the test. It is VERY different from XP.
  • Options
    EdgarcparraEdgarcparra Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□

Specifically i'm talking about the user documents path..like for XP its C:\documents and settings\%username%

in Vista is C:\Users\%username%

Definetly remember the difference between those two
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    what textbook are you using? I'm pretty scared to take this exam. The book is so huge. Although the material is simple, but theres so many tiny things to memorize.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi. Getting closer to taking my 701 and 702 exams. My only experience with Vista is from the book. Can someone advise (who has taken both exams) how much general Vista questions and navigation are on there?

People still use Vista? I’m a PC and windows 7 was my idea :P
    Anyways , I’m studying for the A+ 2009 objectives, and I would say that the best book you can get that covers vista really well, is the Exam Cram A+ 2009
    listed below.
    InformIT: CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Practice Questions Exam Cram:
    Here are some links that give you some ideas on how you can learn the Vista features for the A+..
    InformIT: A+ Exam Cram: Troubleshooting Memory and Hard Drives in Windows Vista > How to Access the Memory Diagnostic Tool and the chkdsk and SFC Commands

InformIT: Using Virtualization to Make A+ Certification Study Easier > What Is Virtualization?

Some things I found from my exam cram book that you should know for Vista:
     Vista install requirements
     Vista=sidebar and gadgets
     How to transfer windows user data=Windows Easy Transfer
     What is Aero?
     The %system% root in windows XP/Vista C:\\Windows
     Backups in Vista can be completed by using the Backup and Status Configuration tool
     What’s include on the Windows Vista Recovery Enviroment?

I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    People still use Vista? I’m a PC and windows 7 was my idea :P
    Anyways , I’m studying for the A+ 2009 objectives, and I would say that the best book you can get that covers vista really well, is the Exam Cram A+ 2009
    listed below.
    InformIT: CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Practice Questions Exam Cram:
    Here are some links that give you some ideas on how you can learn the Vista features for the A+..
    InformIT: A+ Exam Cram: Troubleshooting Memory and Hard Drives in Windows Vista > How to Access the Memory Diagnostic Tool and the chkdsk and SFC Commands

InformIT: Using Virtualization to Make A+ Certification Study Easier > What Is Virtualization?

Some things I found from my exam cram book that you should know for Vista:
     Vista install requirements
     Vista=sidebar and gadgets
     How to transfer windows user data=Windows Easy Transfer
     What is Aero?
     The %system% root in windows XP/Vista C:\\Windows
     Backups in Vista can be completed by using the Backup and Status Configuration tool
     What’s include on the Windows Vista Recovery Enviroment?

I hope this helps

I fully agree with this. I read the Exam Cram (701, 702) and the Comptia objectives book. I have to say the Exam Cram blew the other one out of the water in terms of depth of information and easy explanation. If you read through the Exam Cram cover to cover (pay close attention to the Windows commands chapter and the XP/Vista file locations chapter) you should do well.