Options

MCP/MCSE/MCSA/MCITP - Be Heard - Wallet Card Survey!!

BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
Be heard - Take the Wallet Card Survey - Born To Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

Looks like they might be looking to provide the ability to have our cards given to us again once we pass MCP/MCSE/MCSA/MCITP status.

But it also looks like that they might be providing an option to download the card template from the looks of one of the survey questions.

Time to tell em what we think!
EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete

Comments

• Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Can anyone explain me the point of having a wallet card for your MCP or CCNA or anything else?
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    broc wrote: »
    Can anyone explain me the point of having a wallet card for your MCP or CCNA or anything else?

I like to carry my card, it reminds me of all the work that I put into getting those certs. I have also pulled them out during some interviews.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I voted against them because 1) I'm sick of all the whining, and 2) I have one so I feel exclusive and special.

Just kidding, I strongly emphasized that they should be available, and in the comments, I begged and begged for them to come back because I'm sick of seeing threads about this. Um, no offense :p
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Providing the template would be yet another MS learning fail.

Imagine how easy it would be for people to counterfeit the cards and use them at interviews.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My Answers

1. Very unimportant
    2. Very unimportant
    3. So people stop whining about it, otherwise I could care less.
    4. North America
    5. Canada

Sue me. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Providing the template would be yet another MS learning fail.

Imagine how easy it would be for people to counterfeit the cards and use them at interviews.

Exactly what I told them.

If it is sent out (with their little hologram) it sort of is a distinguishing item, rather then mererly downloading and printing or electronically sending it to an employer or client.

It's really not a huge deal overall, but I'd rather have the card then not.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Any employer who cares should actually verify your credentials with the vendor. All the major players provide this service.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Any employer who cares should actually verify your credentials with the vendor. All the major players provide this service.

My current employer never asked for any proof. It was simply on my resume.

When I went in for the interview he started asking for dates of completion, but I had brought a printed copy of my MS transcript with me to provide all that. I don't think he would have pushed me for physical proof otherwise, though.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    My current employer never asked for any proof. It was simply on my resume.

When I went in for the interview he started asking for dates of completion, but I had brought a printed copy of my MS transcript with me to provide all that. I don't think he would have pushed me for physical proof otherwise, though.

Nor did mine. I don't think I got asked a single technical question either. I just had drinks with Paul Boz one night, and he told them to hire me, so they did. *shrug*

That doesn't mean that's a good practice. The most professional company I've ever interviewed with got all my details for Microsoft, Cisco, and VMware, and verified every certification I had before they'd even interview me.
  • Options
    Oh its NOT a good practice, but I bet most places do it.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    That doesn't mean that's a good practice.

That actually is one of the best examples of "good practice" I've ever seen.

"Good Practice" is something that is in use throughout an industry.

"Best Practice" on the other hand is an ideal....

Your pointless ITIL/ITSM trivia for the day....

MS
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□

1. great for picking up chicks
    2. useful for opening doors
    3. lording over siblings when you go to grandma's house and she says "that's very nice"
    4. they have been around for so long some people expect you to have them or you are not telling the truth.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    TheShadow wrote: »
    3. lording over siblings when you go to grandma's house and she says "that's very nice"
    4. they have been around for so long some people expect you to have them or you are not telling the truth.

Now I understand better, thanks for the clarification :)

I've been asked once to prove my credentials and I use Cisco & MS website tools for that, it is more genuine that basically a business card. I'm pretty good with Photoshop, I could gain some new certifications quickly if all I need is a card.... :D
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I really would like something tangible from MS for the time, effort and money I put into these certs. Since they don't want to print certs anymore, they should at least send cards.

I've been asked for my MCP number before, so the card is also handy for that-- although I usually have it memorized.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should see how well I did picking up chicks with my A+ card.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options

5. Very handy when you're out of floss.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    That actually is one of the best examples of "good practice" I've ever seen.

"Good Practice" is something that is in use throughout an industry.

"Best Practice" on the other hand is an ideal....

Your pointless ITIL/ITSM trivia for the day....

MS

There is always one in every crowd.... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    I don't think I even know where mine is at. Not too concerned about this.
  • Options
    poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I need it because I
    1)paid 125$
    2)help the economy by boost up the employment
  • Options
    poguy wrote: »
    i need it because i

2)help the economy by boost up the employment

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I lost all my wallet cards years ago and my badges. Who cares.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Badges??? I have a Navini badge, but I have never seen a Microsoft one.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    BradH wrote: »
    Badges??? I have a Navini badge, but I have never seen a Microsoft one.

yeah Microsoft and Comptia used to send out badges, more like lapel pins or oversized tie tacks
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They are very useful. On a personal level, as others have stated, also sometimes I am asked when I passed my exam, I can look on the card when my certs are at home, and I don't have internet. I also use them to motivate my fellows in class. There is also the number, which I don't commit to memory because my brain doesn't like numbers. Finally, The cert goes on the wall, the copy doesn't look good, I can hand someone a laminated card.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I voted "very unimportant" because I think wallet cards are retarded. I don't have any MS certs but does that really matter?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    yeah Microsoft and Comptia used to send out badges, more like lapel pins or oversized tie tacks

I still have my badge somewhere, it's a magnet one. I use it to transform into my alter ego "Dorkman".
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I lost all my cards and the few pins I got as well. The main reason I wish I still kept my wallet cards safe was for the "what ever" ID number. I have not logged into the MCP site in years and I registered with some long ago email address I no longer had access to and forgot my MCP number. (one of the reasons I switched to gmail was if I switched ISP I did not lose my email address).
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I lost all my wallet cards years ago and my badges. Who cares.

Hey hey hey, me and my wallet cards have a good relationship. icon_lol.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I voted "very unimportant" because I think wallet cards are retarded. I don't have any MS certs but does that really matter?

Paul I'm gonna tell dynamiks momma on you. You're just jealous and don't want anyone to have anything nice. I heard that they are still looking for you for smashing all the birthday cakes at Chuck E Cheeses. :)