Options

Passed 70-270 Today

I passed the test today with an 861, I'm not sure how good that is, but a pass is a pass. Wow was ever I nervous about this test. My employeer paid for this test, so that added a little additional pressure. This exam was much harder than the A+ / Net+ exams. Throughout the test I just kept hoping I wasn't going to reach the end and have it tell me I failed, but I kept my cool and read each question thouroughly and moved on.

My suggestions to anyone taking this test would be to not use the Exam Cram2 book exclusively. I purchased this book which was bundeled with a practice test book by the same publisher. I found that the Exam Cram 2 book just breezed over topics and completely left out a lot of information (I know this book is just supposed to be a refresher, but others on this board had suggested using it as a primary study resource). The biggest problem I had with these study materials was that several of the questions on the Measure Up CD that came with the practice question book were just plain wrong. That really frustrated me last night when I was trying to do some last minute studying to make sure I was ready.

If I hadn't completed A+ / Net+ and also had a lot of personal experience w/ XP I would have never passed this exam. At least I now know what to expect from Microsoft exams. I'm going to be purchasing the big MS press MCSA/MCSE bundle to study for the rest of the exams. That along with the TechNotes here, and lots of expermination I think I'll be ok. Two more and I'll have my MCSA. :D

Comments

• Options
    stallion750stallion750 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gratz Good Job!!!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent work and a nice overall review of the test. Good luck with your progress to MCSA.
  • Options
    princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    congratz, ur experience on the use of measureUp is noteworthy. Thanks :D
    Knowledge is life
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Congrats - nice review.
  • Options
    cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
    Congratz man. I am beginning also with studying for this exam
  • Options
    allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    well done icon_thumright.gif
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd have to agree about the ExamCram2 book. I like it well enough, but it assumes a lot of knowledge. This one might be better for people with lots of practical admin experience, or someone who is upgrading from NT4.

It's also very dry. I'm not a very mechancal/logic minded person, so I find dry material with only the most literal of examples to be very hard to cope with.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    skully93 wrote:
    It's also very dry. I'm not a very mechancal/logic minded person, so I find dry material with only the most literal of examples to be very hard to cope with.

I couldn't agree more. It was extremely boring. It took me a long time to get through it simply because it was extremely boring. It also repeated itself alot. I felt like I was accidently reading the same chapter over and over at times.

I'm now studying for the 70-290 and my company bought me the 4 pack of MS press books. I must say so far the 70-290 book has been great. Very hands-on and it also explains things very well.