Options

Idea for access server

CiscoInsideCiscoInside Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would really like the capability of remoting into my lab when I am not home, preferably when we have to goto my Fiancee's parents house (I much rather be working with my lab icon_lol.gif). I don't really want to spend the money they want for some of the access servers on ebay - plus I don't have room on my rack and I am not allowed to purchase anymore equipment (I guess I maxed out, lol).

I recently picked up a PowerEdge 1750 server to replace my older HP server that I had serving DC, AD, DNS, etc (all in one).

I have to open up the case and see how many PCI slots I have, but I believe those server mobos do have a good number of slots.

If I went ahead and started throwing in serial com cards in there, as much as I can fit, I would think this would do the same thing as an access server. I can then just RDP into that server, either do a lan wake-up or keep it on when I know I will be using it.

What do you guys think? I have the equipment, might make more sense doing this then buying another router to do it?

Comments

• Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I like having a dedicated router used as a terminal/access server simply because it gives me another chassis to run routing protocols on when needed (and who doesn't want more gear! ;)). However, I was using the method you mentioned for years and it worked fine (assuming your OS is stable and you have it configured to be on all the time or WOL).

Instead of PCI cards with com ports you may want to consider USB cards along with USB/Serial adapters. I used the later as my PC mobo slots were already in use. I just added a couple 4port USB "brackets" that attached to the mobo USB headers. Worked fine. Only issue is that sometimes after a reboot the USB to com port mapping numbers changed. However, it was easy enough to just change the settings under HyperTerm until I got connected to the chassis I was looking for.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    That does sound like an interesting idea on the usb - I will have to look into that!

I would love to have another router acting as the access server, but for the time being I am going to wait until I find a deal to do so. The prices are up there, and my rack is pretty much full :) for another router (I would take the chance to expand the rack, but the boss says I am not allowed to as of yet lol).
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    I use a pc as my access server. At work we had an old MOXA 8 port serial card that came with an octal cable, pluggged it in installed the drivers and viola a free access server!!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    This or usb hubs.
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I like having a dedicated router used as a terminal/access server simply because it gives me another chassis to run routing protocols on when needed (and who doesn't want more gear! ;)). However, I was using the method you mentioned for years and it worked fine (assuming your OS is stable and you have it configured to be on all the time or WOL).

Instead of PCI cards with com ports you may want to consider USB cards along with USB/Serial adapters. I used the later as my PC mobo slots were already in use. I just added a couple 4port USB "brackets" that attached to the mobo USB headers. Worked fine. Only issue is that sometimes after a reboot the USB to com port mapping numbers changed. However, it was easy enough to just change the settings under HyperTerm until I got connected to the chassis I was looking for.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    I use a pc as my access server. At work we had an old MOXA 8 port serial card that came with an octal cable, pluggged it in installed the drivers and viola a free access server!!

i second this. they are cheap on ebay and have a sexy looking cable to impress your friends with.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    There are other non Cisco ethernet based terminal servers out there. I picked up a Lantronix ETS8P Ethernet Teminal server on ebay for about £25. It serves exactly the same purpose as the Cisco access server in that you reverse telnet to the device using a port number 2001 through to 2008 for accessing each port.

It's small, cheap to run & quiet. I had to make rollover cables for it though but as all people studying for CCNA have cable making equipment no proglem thereicon_wink.gif
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I use this product

EtherLite Network Serial Concentrator - Connect Serial Ports to TCP/IP - Digi International

We used to sell these to clients for serial port access.
    I am able to make it a network attached device, and my PC links to to give me 16 serial ports. I then made the cables and had the ability to add 16 additional serial ports to my PC to control up to 16 Cisco devices at the same time via hyperterm
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Okay well I finished the setup tonight.

This is the boxes where I will be making my connections to the server.
    img00077201003222229.th.jpg

Panel for direct connections to the equipment.
    img00076201003222228.th.jpg

The green cables are for console use only.
    img00075201003222228.th.jpg

During all of this I was doing some upgrading on my server icon_wink.gif
    img00073201003222227.th.jpg
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Hey CiscoInside,

I like your 20U rack. I've been looking for one to get. Any particular reasons you got the Skeletek? Is it any better, cheaper over other brands?
  • Options
    Hey CiscoInside,

I like your 20U rack. I've been looking for one to get. Any particular reasons you got the Skeletek? Is it any better, cheaper over other brands?
    I JUST finished putting my together 5 minutes ago during my lunchbreak! I like it. Instructions were kind of messed up (or bolt bags labelled incorrectly) but its such a simple install that instructions are not needed. Its my 1st personal rack. I like it so far. Will post results once I have all my gear racked in it. I purchased the Skeletek C-20U or something like that after seeing a photo on this site and then searching ebay.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

• Options
    I JUST finished putting my together 5 minutes ago during my lunchbreak! I like it. Instructions were kind of messed up (or bolt bags labelled incorrectly) but its such a simple install that instructions are not needed. Its my 1st personal rack. I like it so far. Will post results once I have all my gear racked in it. I purchased the Skeletek C-20U or something like that after seeing a photo on this site and then searching ebay.

Awesome! Can I ask what you paid for on eBay for it? It's going to be my first personal rack too.... Can you also put servers like HP 320's, HP 360's or is it meant more for networking equipment that are lightweight and smaller....
  • Options
    Awesome! Can I ask what you paid for on eBay for it? It's going to be my first personal rack too.... Can you also put servers like HP 320's, HP 360's or is it meant more for networking equipment that are lightweight and smaller....
    I would not do an HP server. Those are meant for 4 post racks (rails connect at front and back of racks). This Skeletek is a 2 post rack, meaning there is no back to mount anything to. So if the device is deep (and heavy) then you will want a 4 post rack. It does look like they may make an expansion piece for converting it to a 4 post rack though... worth calling about. I THINK I paid around $160 after shipping.... purchased from Danatek or something like that. Will try to find details later... work calls now!

BTW, this rack seems like it would hold a heavier (dual PSU) 7206VXR with no issues, or even multiple 7200s. As long as the chassis isn't too deep it shouldn't be a problem. The frame on this rack seems pretty heavy duty and uses relatively thick metal.
    My Lab Gear:

• Options
    I would not do an HP server. Those are meant for 4 post racks (rails connect at front and back of racks). This Skeletek is a 2 post rack, meaning there is no back to mount anything to. So if the device is deep (and heavy) then you will want a 4 post rack. It does look like they may make an expansion piece for converting it to a 4 post rack though... worth calling about. I THINK I paid around $160 after shipping.... purchased from Danatek or something like that. Will try to find details later... work calls now!

BTW, this rack seems like it would hold a heavier (dual PSU) 7206VXR with no issues, or even multiple 7200s. As long as the chassis isn't too deep it shouldn't be a problem. The frame on this rack seems pretty heavy duty and uses relatively thick metal.

Ok that's fine. I'm only interested in networking gear anyways. Although it would be nice to find a home (rack) for some of my HP servers laying around....

It's probably best to dedicate those servers to the 4 post anyways like you said, and the 2 post for the networking equipment.....

All good stuff though!!! eBay time!!!
  • Options
    FWIW I plan to build a "microPC" (shoebox size) for my rack and just set it on top of one of the routers. But I don't need anything too powerful. Just hoping to build something that can handle RADIUS, tftp, & syslog LOL. I fix DL360Gs and the like here at work and I think one or two might be ok resting in the rack on top of the networking equip.

One thing I'll add about the Skeletek is that it uses SQUARE holes. I do not like have to use the adapters... too use to using threaded-holed racks like Cisco's. Installing the adapters is a bit of a PITA but is fairly quick when using a flathead screwdriver to help pop them into place. Hoping to have some pix up tomorrow.
    My Lab Gear:

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can you also put servers like HP 320's, HP 360's or is it meant more for networking equipment that are lightweight and smaller....
    There are bigger and more expensive versions of the Skeletek Racks: Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    FWIW I plan to build a "microPC" (shoebox size) for my rack and just set it on top of one of the routers. But I don't need anything too powerful. Just hoping to build something that can handle RADIUS, tftp, & syslog LOL. I fix DL360Gs and the like here at work and I think one or two might be ok resting in the rack on top of the networking equip.

One thing I'll add about the Skeletek is that it uses SQUARE holes. I do not like have to use the adapters... too use to using threaded-holed racks like Cisco's. Installing the adapters is a bit of a PITA but is fairly quick when using a flathead screwdriver to help pop them into place. Hoping to have some pix up tomorrow.

Shoebox? How about using a mac-mini? Just an old one off ebay for cheap?

I love HP servers, not really sure why? Do you think you can put the servers on the bottom of the rack? Not screwed in of course but just maybe to anchor the rack? LOL....

I haven't seen the bottom the Skeletek so I can't see if it would fit.....
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    There are bigger and more expensive versions of the Skeletek Racks: Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.

Thanks for the link, checking it out now.....
  • Options
    Actually when I originally ordered the rack I had the choice between two sizes, the large size would let me install the 4 post extension if I needed it. Well at that time, I did not think I would be installing a blade server in there so I went for the smaller size.

Well.. lol.

Right now the server is supported in the back by two pieces of wood. Eh, whatever because the rack is right in front of my closet, and the back of the server goes right in with plenty of clearance. I will then just go ahead and put some type of mounting in there one day.

When we get a house God Willing I would like to move my entire lab into a basement, using the Skeletek(s) for networking equipment (I plan to go into Voice next) and get a 42u cabinet to host my servers in there.

My fiancee thinks I am nuts now, and the plans I have.. well.. lol. Its okay, its my "lab" area anyways.

Right now one server is good, I have vmware on it with its own servers on there.

For more [goodies] I would suggest checking out this: Network pics thread v2 - [H]ard|Forum

Yea, I went through all 63 pages icon_thumright.gif