Options

Can anyone recomend a good 1TB external hard drive?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I received a replacement adapter for my iomega external hard drive but it has not fixed the problem so I need to find a new external hard drive. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just go on NewEgg and get a drive (usually Seagate or WD) and a nice external enclosure. I don't like buying the bundles, even though they're often cheaper.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I just go on NewEgg and get a drive (usually Seagate or WD) and a nice external enclosure. I don't like buying the bundles, even though they're often cheaper.
    I thought about doing that, but then I found a 1.5 TB WD external hard drive for $117 on Amazon. If it decides to give out on me I'll do what you said. I do place moderate use on the external drive as I use it to run virtual machines off of it.
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember calling Iomega tech support to have an external hard drive RMA'd. They wanted $25 for the phone call. If I refused the charge, I was forced to use their webpage. Using their webpage, after many E-mails, it took 3 whole buisiness days for them to finally send out a warranty replacement. I will never go with Iomega again until the day they decide to personalize the way they work with their customers. Charging someone to support your own 'under warranty' product for phone support is just not the way to go based on so many other vendors. Perhaps they feel that Microsoft does it right...

I would be buying the enclosure and hard drive separately. From what I hear, Seagate drives fail more often than Western Digital. The Maxtor ones are ones to definately stay away from.

Personally, I have something like this in my box. SATA Removable Drive Drawer Kit for SATA Hard Drives -StarTech Value Series Except the door just pops open and I swap out the hard drive in a second once my machine is shut down. It does not replace the ease of use of an external hard drive, but it allows me to load up 1-2 TB of data when I need it with just a reboot. Safer than having a hard drive in the wide open.

"as I use it to run virtual machines off of it."

I bought a brand new $400 box in pieces and slammed it together with a 1TB HDD running ESXi. I can boot that thing up any time I want, and because it's on my gigabit network, I can access through my main box to test out any OS of my choice. Mind you the case is so light you could easily throw the entire box at the wall like it was a baseball.
  • Options
    Stuppored wrote: »
    I remember calling Iomega tech support to have an external hard drive RMA'd. They wanted $25 for the phone call. If I refused the charge, I was forced to use their webpage. Using their webpage, after many E-mails, it took 3 whole buisiness days for them to finally send out a warranty replacement. I will never go with Iomega again until the day they decide to personalize the way they work with their customers. Charging someone to support your own 'under warranty' product for phone support is just not the way to go based on so many other vendors. Perhaps they feel that Microsoft does it right...

I would be buying the enclosure and hard drive separately. From what I hear, Seagate drives fail more often than Western Digital. The Maxtor ones are ones to definately stay away from.

Personally, I have something like this in my box. SATA Removable Drive Drawer Kit for SATA Hard Drives -StarTech Value Series Except the door just pops open and I swap out the hard drive in a second once my machine is shut down. It does not replace the ease of use of an external hard drive, but it allows me to load up 1-2 TB of data when I need it with just a reboot. Safer than having a hard drive in the wide open.

"as I use it to run virtual machines off of it."

I bought a brand new $400 box in pieces and slammed it together with a 1TB HDD running ESXi. I can boot that thing up any time I want, and because it's on my gigabit network, I can access through my main box to test out any OS of my choice. Mind you the case is so light you could easily throw the entire box at the wall like it was a baseball.

I've used removable drawers before in a networking lab which are nice, unfortunately though I have a old computer that does not have any SATA connectors or any spare power connectors.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get a rocketfish enclosure and whatever drive you want. I'd rather have modularity than buy static external drives. Also, the Rocketfish enclosures support eSATA which screams compared to USB2.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/