Options

Private VLANS

singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
Can you configure a switchport that is connected to another switchport as promiscous mode. I have two 3750's and I am trying to configure a private VLAN's on one of them them but whenever i configure a trunk port leading to another trunk as promiscous, I start geting a native VLAN mismatch messages.

are you only supposed to configure promiscous mode on ports that are connected to layer 3 interface?

Comments

• Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    A trunk will carry all vlans across it by default, regardless of normal or pvlan. You dont need to configure the ports as promiscous. Promiscous ports are typically so that the isolated ports can communicate with the outside world via a router or some server etc. Promiscous port is an access port, I dont think it can be a trunk port as well.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes you don't configure the trunk as a promiscuous port. The trunk is only passing traffic though, so it is not acting as part of the topology in the Prvt VLan.

only accces ports can be configured as promiscuous port or isolated/community ports. (this would usuly be connected to a layer 3 device, however the rule is only it must be a access port)

All you need to insure on the trunk is that all vlans that are part of the prvt valn setup are allowed. And both switches have the same Prvt vlan config on them. (primary, isolated, and community are assigned to the same vlans on both.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    Thanks guys, I will test it out on Monday at work.