Options

Secret to BSCI

agent2592agent2592 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
After my miserable experience of failing the BSCI 3 weeks ago (after 5 months of study) I think I found the one thing that will push me over the top: flash cards.

My weakest area on the test was multicast and BGP. So far I have created a set of about 50 detailed multicast flash cards with verification commands, concepts, etc. and I finally feel that I am beginning to wrap my brain around this finally.

I believe this, coupled with the Authorized Self Study Guide and Doyle books, are giving me the edge. Can't wait to get back into ring for a rematch...icon_thumright.gif
CCIE written here I come...

Comments

• Options
    netn3rdnetn3rd Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used OneNote and copy the output from show/debug commands from labs. I make notes under the output where I want to call attention to certain things. It's important for the exam to be able to pick things out of the show output and to know what commands show certain information. you really have to see the output a lot for that sort of thing to stick.

I have said this in a couple threads recently, but the difference between passing and failing for me was time management. I had no problem with retention of facts or the application of knowledge. On my first attempt i spent 15-20 minutes on a sim that just wasn't working for me for whatever reason and for the rest of the exam, I was behind. I missed 10 questions I think (didn't even guess them) and finished just shy of a passing score. On my second attempt I had a hard rule of 5 minutes per sim. If the solution wasn't apparent and very near completed I moved on. Well, I got the first sim no prob but on the second one it wasn't working so I skipped it and still finished with a 936 iirc. FWIW, even though i got a good score, I was still scared when hitting the "End Exam" button. I wasn't sure if I had passed because I had only just finished in the allotted time. BSCI is tough even if you ultimately know your ****.

Chris Bryant's stuff is really good too. There's a fair amount of info in his wireless section for BCMSN, for instance, that isn't in the cert guide but is on the exam.
  • Options
    suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was fortunate to pass the BSCI by labbing everything to death. I spent some serious time with labs. And similar to you, I got my butt kicked by multicast (due to the lack of labs, coincidentally).

I also used flash cards, but I used the 21st century variety, namely a spaced repetition system. Basically, imagine a flash card system that tracks your success and failure with each card. Using this information, the system can optimize your time by focusing on cards that you have problems with while "pushing back" the cards that you know well.

Popular programs include Super Memo, Mnemosyne, and Anki. Paper cards are great, but consider these for long term retention.

I've used Anki for years (to study Japanese) and recently started using it for my CCIE studies. It really is an amazing tool.
  • Options
    agent2592agent2592 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    suffah wrote: »
    . I've used Anki for years (to study Japanese) and recently started using it for my CCIE studies. It really is an amazing tool.

Hey man thanks for those links. I am gonna check those out. The only draw back with flash cards is that they are a little tedious to make especially if they are have relevant content. However I think the time invested pays for itself.

I should mention that Transcender has flash card as well, but in my opinion they are a joke. I hate to say that, since their other exam material has been helpful for me (CCNA, MCSE, MCITP, etc.)
    CCIE written here I come...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    suffah wrote: »
    I've used Anki for years (to study Japanese) and recently started using it for my CCIE studies. It really is an amazing tool.

Installing this now, thanks! icon_cool.gif

Nihongo ga jouzu desu ka
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    **** Sheets - Packet Life

I used those which I'm assuming is about the same as flash cards. All the routing protocols, multicast, and IPv6 factoids are on those **** sheets.