Options

Interview Tomorrow

DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Well I have a job interview tomorrow as a help desk technician.The drive is around 24 miles one way which is about 35 minutes. Im an entry-level candidate so im hoping they will offer me some training. I told them over the phone i have little experience and would like something to get me in with some experience but also Its pretty far so i wanna see how much they offer me...

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello everyone,

Well I have a job interview tomorrow as a help desk technician.The drive is around 24 miles one way which is about 35 minutes. Im an entry-level candidate so im hoping they will offer me some training. I told them over the phone i have little experience and would like something to get me in with some experience but also Its pretty far so i wanna see how much they offer me...

Good luck dude! Make sure you post how this goes!
  • Options
    Thanks, im pretty nervous since it will be my first job in IT and i want the experience
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is that tomorrow as in Tuesday? Or tomorrow as in Today after you finally go to bed and try to get some sleep before your interview Monday?

Either way -- Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck with the interview.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yo man, real talk, its not that bad. I went from proprietary support to desktop/server support. i was nervous as hell @ my interviews, but I had done some comp tech work for my work-study in undergrad, and did a semi-internship as a comp tech also, so i kinda drew on that, and also from what i learned studying for my MCDST cert. I was super nervous when i got the position and was in my first week @ the job cuz i had never done desktop support on an enterprise level, but i quickly got over that. so basically what i'm saying is, relax, be yourself, and if you've studied for some helpdesk certs(A+, HDI, MCDST, etc), just try to remember what you've learned and use some of those techniques to answer the questions they ask you.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, im on my way to the interview right now...hope this goes well.
  • Options
    nasunasu Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good luck man hope to hear from you some good news. I just started to look for a job as well.
  • Options
    Well im back and i think the interview went well, they offered me entry level salary and since im bilingual in spanish and english they said i would be good because they have some spanish speakers. They have one more interview and they will let me know either today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Well im back and i think the interview went well, they offered me entry level salary and since im bilingual in spanish and english they said i would be good because they have some spanish speakers. They have one more interview and they will let me know either today or tomorrow.

I'm confused.

You said they offered you money, but then they have another interview?

Did they tell you what the position pays or did they actually make you an offer?

Also, being bilingual is a huge plus. I would see if you could leverage that at all, especially since they have already told you that is a desired skill.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    I'm confused.

You said they offered you money, but then they have another interview?

Did they tell you what the position pays or did they actually make you an offer?

Also, being bilingual is a huge plus. I would see if you could leverage that at all, especially since they have already told you that is a desired skill.

yeah, i think they told him what the salary is. cuz if they made and offer, they dont need to interview anyone else, they have already chosen their pick.
    Link Me
  • Options
    They offered me the job today after interviewing two other candidates and asked me if i could start tomorrow. Im pretty nervous since it will be my first time working as a help desk tech. and my first in IT. Anyone have any pointers they could give on how it is on first days???

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    Congrats and good luck on the job
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    They offered me the job today after interviewing two other candidates and asked me if i could start tomorrow. Im pretty nervous since it will be my first time working as a help desk tech. and my first in IT. Anyone have any pointers they could give on how it is on first days???

Thanks for your time.

google is your friend....

is this supporting internal users and/or external clients? also is it mainly like phone/remote support or is there hands on desktop support involved also?
    Link Me
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »

is this supporting internal users and/or external clients? also is it mainly like phone/remote support or is there hands on desktop support involved also?

Well its more like a refurbishing job, i had an interview with a technician and the manager and the technician said that they do refurbishing so that they can resell the desktop/latop. They also refurbish routers,switchess and servers. i was able to glance over the area/lab and they were working on diagnosing the product and checking for viruzes or just some equipment swap, like a hard drive swap...Not sure if any of you guys have worked in any similar environment??
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man. Being bi-lingual is what got you that job. You could be technically retarded and you'd still win out over others.

Congrats again! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Congrats man. Being bi-lingual is what got you that job. You could be technically retarded and you'd still win out over others.

Congrats again! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

That's true in some enviroments.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    impelse wrote: »
    That's true in some enviroments.

I worked in a tech support call center as a NOC tech for five years and I can assure you with 100% certainty that if you have to be customer-facing, if you speak spanish you have a fifty percent greater chance of getting the job, especially in Hispanic demographics. You can teach any dumbass off the street how to be a helpdesk tech but you can not teach any dumbass off the street how to interface with spanish-speaking customers.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    But let’s not take anything away from him just because he is bi-lingual. He lands a new job and he is nervous/excited and now let us diminish that by saying any dumb ass or retard could get that position if they speak Spanish.

Congrats on the job! And good luck with your career!
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    AWESOME! Congrats to you! You have made your first step in the wide world of IT. It sounds you are starting off a great place! You will get all kinds of hardware/software/IOS exposure with the PCs, Routers, Switches. Get in there and learn as much as you can. They know you lack exp so ask as many questions as you can. Read up on as much IT as you can, this forum is a great start. You will probably shadow one of the other techs for a few days then they will probably let you take the calls/tickets and shadow you until they feel you got it down then will back off allowing you to come to them when you get stumped. It won't be that bad a t all, remember, they already know you lack lack inexperience so you just have to show them that you can work hard and are willing to find out answers to things you don't know. Again, Congratulations!
  • Options
    citinerd wrote: »
    But let’s not take anything away from him just because he is bi-lingual. He lands a new job and he is nervous/excited and now let us diminish that by saying any dumb ass or retard could get that position if they speak Spanish.

Congrats on the job! And good luck with your career!

You're out of your mind if you think I'm saying he's retarded or that its all that got him his job. All I'm doing is explaining how critical being bi-lingual is in today's job market. I'm sure the OP didn't take from my post that he's stupid or that that's all that got him his job.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    Wow guys, first of all thanks for all the great replys and support. But i have some bad news that left me really feeling bad. First of all i showed up ont he first day, did some paper work and was anxious to get started. But what happened after that really put my hopes down and left me speechless...when the manager told me he was gonna put me with some people that spoke spanish i was like cool im gonna have some people i can be able to talk to in both languages...so i had to follow him to the "other warehouse" were i would be working. When i arrived i went in and looked over and just stopped and thought to my self...wtf is this...it was a warehouse were they cleaned and tested electronics, absolutely NO help desk, NO refurbishing, and NOT ONE switch, or router, or even near a laptop or desktop..i was like what the hell is this..they put me in an area were i had to clean F*cking keyboards...I went through that damn interview thinking it was going to be a help desk job and they brought me here!!!...they even told me i was going to be refurbishing and learning how to troubleshoot pcs, routers, switches, servers,,,wtf!!

Guys i wanna know what your thuoghts are, because im pretty mad at what just happened....thanks for reading.
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Dude that sucks. I give it a day or two, to see if it is a prank, then ask if this is what the position does all the time. Maybe they are waiting for paperwork to come down so you can access/login to the equipment you will be using. Remember what they said in the interview about what the position is and ask what it will take to do those things. Or you can tell them they grossly misrepresented the position and that you will find work elsewhere. It all depends on your circumstances.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    lol, My first job at a computer company, I had no IT experience, was working in the warehouse. I did shipping/receiving for PC parts. Unboxed things coming in the AM, boxed and shipped out in the PM. However, this company also built their own branded computers/had their own tech support. So there was room to grow a bit out of the warehouse.

Does this company do anything else? Is there room to move around at all? You have my sympathy man, it's gotta suck being told one thing and then another happens... icon_sad.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    BradleyHU wrote: »

This.

Don't worry if you don't know everything, they shouldn't expect you to on your first day/IT job. I went on an interview once and was asked how I would find a solution to a problem if I didn't know the it, after stating the obvious "asking co-workers" I said that I would use Google if all else failed, and they said that it was a very good answer.

Keep working on certs/degrees, it will show that you want to improve yourself and might land you a network/system admin job.

employer's like to see pro-active employee's, so look for things to do to stay busy, it will impress them.

GL!
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow guys, first of all thanks for all the great replys and support. But i have some bad news that left me really feeling bad. First of all i showed up ont he first day, did some paper work and was anxious to get started. But what happened after that really put my hopes down and left me speechless...when the manager told me he was gonna put me with some people that spoke spanish i was like cool im gonna have some people i can be able to talk to in both languages...so i had to follow him to the "other warehouse" were i would be working. When i arrived i went in and looked over and just stopped and thought to my self...wtf is this...it was a warehouse were they cleaned and tested electronics, absolutely NO help desk, NO refurbishing, and NOT ONE switch, or router, or even near a laptop or desktop..i was like what the hell is this..they put me in an area were i had to clean F*cking keyboards...I went through that damn interview thinking it was going to be a help desk job and they brought me here!!!...they even told me i was going to be refurbishing and learning how to troubleshoot pcs, routers, switches, servers,,,wtf!!

Guys i wanna know what your thuoghts are, because im pretty mad at what just happened....thanks for reading.

Give it a few days and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Hopefully they didn't jst hire you for being bilingual or your pay should probably be HIGHER as a translator. Unless you have other opportunities right now stay with this job and see if you can work your way up and out of your current position.
    Meanwhile hunt for other help desk positions.