Options

Cat6 on a cat5e patch panel

MiscMisc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are they not compatible?

My coworker is saying that they are not......

Comments

• Options
    LordMarshalLordMarshal Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it should work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i dont see why it wouldnt work.... she started getting mad so i walked away and said ok whatever.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Misc wrote: »
    i dont see why it wouldnt work.... she started getting mad so i walked away and said ok whatever.

Easiest thing to do is plug it in, but you should not have a problem with it. See it frequently.

And 5e was the 'early' 6 before 6 was certified/adopted.

Any reason why your co-worker stated this?

Otherwise, if you are running CAT6 compliant equipment, CAT6 would be preferred, but CAT5e will work.

Compare the Cat5e vs Cat6 Cabling Standard
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Easiest thing to do is plug it in, but you should not have a problem with it. See it frequently.

And 5e was the 'early' 6 before 6 was certified/adopted.

Any reason why your co-worker stated this?

Otherwise, if you are running CAT6 compliant equipment, CAT6 would be preferred, but CAT5e will work.

Compare the Cat5e vs Cat6 Cabling Standard

Well right now i do project management and my coworker who is the lead on the project wanted to know if the site had a cat5e or cat6 patch panel. i told her it didn't matter cause you can run cat6 on a cat5e patch panel. she then tells me you cant..... and starts getting all pissy with me so i just walked away. just wanted to confirm that i was right.

also her reason was that they tried to do it before and it didnt work. lol
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Maybe she told you that they didn't work because she doesn't want to use it lol
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well right now i do project management and my coworker who is the lead on the project wanted to know if the site had a cat5e or cat6 patch panel. i told her it didn't matter cause you can run cat6 on a cat5e patch panel. she then tells me you cant.....
    You can of course run Cat-6 to a Cat-5e patch panel and it will work fine - however (and this may or may not be important) the entire installation will no longer be certifiable at Cat-6 (no mix and matching or its all downgraded).

Is this an internal installation or for a client? You can ask why/if they need Cat-6 - could be a vendor requirement for a particular hardware device, etc.
  • Options
    Well right now i do project management and my coworker who is the lead on the project wanted to know if the site had a cat5e or cat6 patch panel. i told her it didn't matter cause you can run cat6 on a cat5e patch panel. she then tells me you cant..... and starts getting all pissy with me so i just walked away. just wanted to confirm that i was right.

also her reason was that they tried to do it before and it didnt work. lol

:)

No, it will work. Whenever you 'mix' and 'match' technologies you'll system/network will run as fast as the slowest piece (so RAID HDDs will run with mixed drives (not ideal) but will run...and do so at the slowest/smallest drive speed/size). Likewise, if you mix CAT6 equipment with CAT5...everything will run down at a CAT5 speed. Not a huge deal, but may be significant in some environments.

Bottom line. You are correct that it (CAT5e cables) CAN be used. May not be ideal, but won't prevent the network from functioning.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Maybe she told you that they didn't work because she doesn't want to use it lol

lol no she truly thinks that they are not compatible despite what i have to say..... and of course like a woman brings her emotions into the convo cause i don't agree with her (no sexist)
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    :)

No, it will work. Whenever you 'mix' and 'match' technologies you'll system/network will run as fast as the slowest piece (so RAID HDDs will run with mixed drives (not ideal) but will run...and do so at the slowest/smallest drive speed/size). Likewise, if you mix CAT6 equipment with CAT5...everything will run down at a CAT5 speed. Not a huge deal, but may be significant in some environments.

Bottom line. You are correct that it (CAT5e cables) CAN be used. May not be ideal, but won't prevent the network from functioning.

Yeah, but its still gigabit with cat5e. also she thinks that cat5e is only 100mb.
  • Options
    lol no she truly thinks that they are not compatible despite what i have to say..... and of course like a woman brings her emotions into the convo cause i don't agree with her (no sexist)

icon_scratch.gif

Considering I just had a co-worker get all 'emotional' today...I won't totally disagree...but be careful with the 'women' comment...not all are that way ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    cat 5e and cat 6 are compatible. They both do gigabit. Your coworker is simply wrong. Hell, cat5 does gigabit and would be considered compatible in this case as well