Options

Please Symantec, go out of buisiness.

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
Im removing Symantec Endpoint from a clients office and this is the most absurd removal process for an antivirus ive ever seen.

Luckily I think i found a copy of cleanwipe (you have to call symantec to get it and give them all sorts of info bc they are afraid someone will take the software and turn it into malware that disables endpoint, lame.)

But look at the manual removal steps for endpoint. It makes me want to stab myself in the eye.

How to manually uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows 2000, XP and 2003, 32-bit Editions

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Im removing Symantec Endpoint from a clients office and this is the most absurd removal process for an antivirus ive ever seen.

Luckily I think i found a copy of cleanwipe (you have to call symantec to get it and give them all sorts of info bc they are afraid someone will take the software and turn it into malware that disables endpoint, lame.)

But look at the manual removal steps for endpoint. It makes me want to stab myself in the eye.

How to manually uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows 2000, XP and 2003, 32-bit Editions
    Just scrolling through it made me cringe. Why make a product so difficult to remove except possibly to keep you using it, believing the hard removal process makes it more secure..maybe pay Symantec for support when you'll need it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was the same way with version 10. I pushed 11 to a workstation and it had problems removing 10, and thankfully I found a removal program for it. I hope we'll be able to drop them by renewal time, but as stingy as our board has been I bet we'll keep the status quo. icon_sad.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Precisely why I dropped it after I saw their epic fail of a product called End Point Protection 10.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hate Symantec...
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262

Oh my God... my company plans on rolling this out in the summer. Oh no...
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe you could score some points by sterring them another way.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I hate their AV, but I hope they don't go out of business. Me likey Backup Exec stuff, Enterprise Vault....

Pretty much everything that came from Veritas. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Well the cleanwipe utility actually did a pretty good job (so far).

Now im downloading the Trend Micro stuff to put in its place. *stabs self in eye again*
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You've always had to do stuff like that with their software. They openly give away the consumer utility if you ever have the misfortune of working with that: Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Where I work at we are a Symantec shop, but I had older machines which has McAfee on there. That was a pain to remove as well. Its not just Symantec that acts that way.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Hmm, think I'd want to build a script for that wouldnt want to do that more than once.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Just scrolling through it made me cringe. Why make a product so difficult to remove except possibly to keep you using it, believing the hard removal process makes it more secure..maybe pay Symantec for support when you'll need it.
    Manually removing any program will look like that, if not worse. It's unfortunate that a manual removal is required, but it happens. Usually the uninstall program will cleanly remove the program. At least they actually have documentation on how to do it.

I previously worked at a place with a few hundred workstations with SAV 10 and rarely needed to do a manual removal (maybe did it about five times in about 3 years). If I did I used the special Symantec removal tool. Several of those were required since the install was done by someone else and I didn't have the uninstall password, and not because the uninstaller failed.

Before that job I was at a place with thousands of workstations with SAV 8, and again only occasionally had to do a manual removal, though in that case I wasn't the only person responsible for the machines so I don't know how many were being done by other people, but AFAIK it was uncommon.
    earweed wrote: »
    maybe pay Symantec for support when you'll need it.
    If you're using SAV or SEP you are already paying for support.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    OMFG those instructions are rediculous. It would be easier for me to reinstall the OS and the few apps that we use.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Errrm yeh dont go outta business please. Me also likes Backup Exec, Vault and of course Altiris.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pash wrote: »
    Errrm yeh dont go outta business please. Me also likes Backup Exec, Vault and of course Altiris.

That makes 3 of us. There is more to Symantec than just their AV...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Then they just need to **** their AV and stick to backups ;)
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    At least they actually have documentation on how to do it.

Exactly!

Whenever you have to remove a program it's a huge amount of work (hence the existence of uninstallers). What's unbelievably rare is that level of detail being available about how to remove it.
  • Options
    Then they just need to **** their AV and stick to backups ;)

Well not exactly, as we just mentioned. Symantec have a very impressive product portfolio. We also left Norton Ghost off the list, im not sure how that holds up to acronis (live backups) and co these days but I still use ghost now and again.

I hated Vista, does that warrant me asking for Microsoft to go out of business? No.

Quit whining.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Quit whining.

0.jpg
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should be able to get certified in "Removing Symantec AV products"
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will say that they are the only AV company i've seen that catches everything AFTER you've been infected icon_cool.gif.
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    0.jpg

don't get it.
  • Options
    He's agreeing with you that he should "quit whining".
  • Options
    arwes wrote: »
    He's agreeing with you that he should "quit whining".

to me that just looks like some dude trying to give another dude a kiss, while I am very open minded about these things, I didnt get its relevance to this discussion.
  • Options
    BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is epic :)
    and one of the reasons i hate there products...
    Veritas was so good it did exactly what it said on the Tin icon_thumright.gif
    And yeah Avoid Trend it is usless "Very light and all that" but could not catch a cold!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    don't get it.

Dynamik's Mom
    'Nuff said
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    to me that just looks like some dude trying to give another dude a kiss, while I am very open minded about these things, I didnt get its relevance to this discussion.

Its actually a nutri-grain commercial that I really enjoy, but I am also not sure where it falls in here either. Funny nonetheless. (and for the record, he is getting punched in the stomach).
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    LOL, I didn't see the picture (got YouTube.com on the block list). icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Well not exactly, as we just mentioned. Symantec have a very impressive product portfolio. We also left Norton Ghost off the list, im not sure how that holds up to acronis (live backups) and co these days but I still use ghost now and again.

I hated Vista, does that warrant me asking for Microsoft to go out of business? No.

Quit whining.

Way to be entirely inept in taking a joke.

If a company makes a product that royally stinks, they shouldnt make that product any longer. In the very least, noone should support it. Most of what Symantec "makes" that is good they aqcuired through acquisitions.

The other day I was loading Malwarebytes to scan a system that was infected (it had Endpoint, didnt catch it) and suddenly Endpoint starts flipping its lid over "MBAM.EXE POSSIBLE MALWARE"

Guess what MBAM.exe is...

facepalm1.jpg
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't dealt with Symantec in a long time but I see they haven't changed their removal process any.

I'm actually replacing TrendMicro Worry-Free Business Security with Vipre Enterprise at the moment. Trend didn't seem to be doing much for us with preventing malware whereas Vipre in our testing seemed to do fairly well. That along with great pricing for 3 years and personal licenses for our users at home for free as long as we keep renewing made it a pretty solid deal.