Options

Please Symantec, go out of buisiness.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I did a BackupExec 12.5 to 2010 install today. Seamless :D

Oh and bite me to whoever neg repped me for this thread and said "lighten up".
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Oh and bite me to whoever neg repped me for this thread and said "lighten up".

It wasn't me old boy. Although I did find your use of captain jean luc picard facepalming as a riposte a little below the belt.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Anti-virus software is over rated.

I have to agree with this statement. Those companies make way to much off of fear.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have to agree with this statement. Those companies make way to much off of fear.
    Agreed. Since the AV industry has been established it is probably more of their job now to propogate the fear than it is to protect clients.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I honestly would not be surprised if a lot of the malware writers out there were on the payroll of some of the AV companies.
  • Options
    Now we've got a copycat. Idiots.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Now we've got a copycat. Idiots.

I'm not doing it, but I have to ask...

Why do you care?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    I'm not doing it, but I have to ask...

Why do you care?

Because more often than not I get neg repped for silly reasons. Like i've said before, people do it more and for less valid reasons because its anonymous. They could at least tell me if they had a problem (since they obviously thought i seriously wanted symantec to go under)
  • Options
    Because more often than not I get neg repped for silly reasons....

Dude, I got that you feel they did it for no good reason. Again, why do you care what your rep is? It's not even worth getting upset, mildly annoyed, or even giving a second thought over.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Dude, I got that you feel they did it for no good reason. Again, why do you care what your rep is? It's not even worth getting upset, mildly annoyed, or even giving a second thought over.

The rep doesnt matter one bit. What bothers me is when people have an issue and can't bring it up to the person they have the issue with.

I realize thats silly considering this is an internet forum, but I just prefer people air things out.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637

Backup Exec was on my sh*t list earlier this week. We had to install BE 2010 to support Exchange 2010. BE requires the Exchange management tools to be installed on the management server, and since Exchange 2010 has only 64bit tools, we had to build a new 64bit server for BE. Exchange 2010 only uses a few clustering bits, but BE has to talk to the cluster name and IP - even though Exchange could care less if the name and IP are live. When you build a DAG through the EMC the cluster uses DHCP for the IP. You can only set the IP through the EMS. When the datacenter does not have a DHCP server, the cluster gets no IP and the name does not come online. Exchange works fine, but BackupExec gives you crytpic errors.

Once that was sorted, BE did a great job of backing up the DBs though.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just to clear the air, I have an issue with people who have an issue with people that have an issue and can't bring it up to the person they have the issue with on an online forum.

I seriously don't get it. I crave negative rep; all red baby! Notoriety! icon_cool.gif

Edit: I was just struck by the irony of that coming from the only person who's left me negative rep with a rather offensive comment ;)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's a lot easier now to discuss things with you. icon_thumright.gif

Me? Well, I'll always be a PITA. icon_lol.gif

Does that mean I can call you GyroPsycho?

Ahhh! I crack myself up!
  • Options
    Does that mean I can call you GyroPsycho?

Ahhh! I crack myself up!

You'll love my Tzatziki sauce, if you know what I mean. And it's non-dairy, too!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll love my Tzatziki sauce, if you know what I mean. And it's non-dairy, too!
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. But I hear Dynamik's mom loves it.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry for necropostinig, but.

I've written a simple script, like, 95 lines of code to uninstall SEP and Symantec Active Update on multiple servers at once. So far we are in the middle of getting rid of it on ~700 servers (2003 (both 32 and 64-bit), 2003R2 (both 32 and 64-bit) 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012R2, majority of SEP installations are 11.0.6200.754, but we have both below and above, so script handles that), so it was tested in production. Of course, it will need some fine tuning to reflect your environment.

PM if needed.
  • Options
    cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea I remember those days LOL......