Options

Another Home Lab setup question

AbbeyandpapaAbbeyandpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
These seem to pile in often and I almost feel bad for making another, but I've been debating on what hardware to but for too long and just need to make a choice.

I hope to make this into a CCNP lab eventually as well so I was trying to keep that in mind. What I am looking at are:

Routers:
(1) 3640 128/32
(1) 2620xm 128/32
and (1) 2520 16/16 for frame relay

Switches:
(2) 2950 24 ports

I don't have too much money to spend here but want to at least get some decent stuff while I have something to spend. This stuff is going to cost me just over $550 with about $100 shipping. Does this sound about right?

Any obvious changes you guys think I need to make?
Thanks for the advice and all the support you guys provide all over this site!

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    If you find another router to go with the 2620XM & the 3640, you will have a good CCNA lab.

As for price, I'm from UK so everything is expensive here, but at £430 inc p+p - it is very expensive even by UK standards, sorry.

If you buy separately you will find it works out much cheaper.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    I'm definately going to try and shop those models around on ebay, just wanted to make sure I had the right ones picked out. The pricing I am using more as a benchmark.

So 3 routers + frame relay is optimal? I'll keep that in mind, I may have to expand later though.

Thank you for your input!
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Does the 3640 have any network modules? Does the 2620XM have any wic's? If not you are looking at extra cost. Check out the sticky notes, plenty of ideas there.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Your proposed setup sounds solid, but the price is way high. Hawk eBay for some deals. I was able to get a 2620XM 128/32 for 64.50 a 2520 16/16 for 42.50 and 2x 2950's for 36.00 each. I have other hardware as well, but those were the deals I got on equipment that you are interested in. Have you thought about a couple 2501 16/16 for extra PPP links, frame relay clients, etc? Also have you thought about NM modules or WIC's?
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gns3 is so much cheaper ;)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    mgeorge wrote: »
    gns3 is so much cheaper ;)
    Does GNS3 have switches like 2950 or something?
    Because I downloaded it and did not see the switches other than the regular ethernet switch.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    Thanks for the input ya'll. I'll definately have to shop around. I was under the impression that most hardware came with all necessary WIC's and NM's to function fully, but yea, this does not seem to be the case.

As far as virtualizing, I suppose that is an option, but one I want to stay away from. Physically setting up and adjusting my topology is something I believe will benefit me greatly as well as allow me to encounter hard(ware)issues due to my ineptness icon_wink.gif.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I was under the impression that most hardware came with all necessary WIC's and NM's to function fully, but yea, this does not seem to be the case.
    I wish. All of the removable cards/module/adapters are more like options or packages when buying a car. Many of them cost more than the routers themselves so keep an eye on the cost of the cards and required cables before buying the routers.
    Physically setting up and adjusting my topology is something I believe will benefit me greatly as well as allow me to encounter hard(ware)issues due to my ineptness icon_wink.gif.
    It will, for sure. You just can't beat setting up and using the real deal.

The costs you have listed seem ok or atleast in the ballpark. Just be sure to pay attention to the complete model #s so you know if they include gigabit interfaces, etc.

I found GNS3 to be good for routing but lacking in switching. I quit using it simply because, as you noticed, it only lists a generic ethernet switch and nothing like 2960 or 3560.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT