Options

Gone and booked it

captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
Seeing so many "I passed" threads posted lately has helped me to get off my duff and finally schedule this exam. Seeing as my nearest testing center has gone from a 20 minute drive to a 2 1/2 hour drive, I have given myself extra time to go over some notes and the CBT Nuggets. Don't want to walk into this one without having a firm belief of passing. April 8th is the day. Figured if it was a good day for Tiger to come back to golf, it would be a good day for me to take a test. I hope that logic holds. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    good luck
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well you better not throw off everyone's momentum with a fail. No pressure. Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck... now get back to studying! icon_cool.gificon_study.gif

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Too nice a day to be studying. Besides, my eyes are starting to bleed and I don't want to over do it. Maybe watch some Nuggets later, maybe not.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Too nice a day to be studying. Besides, my eyes are starting to bleed and I don't want to over do it. Maybe watch some Nuggets later, maybe not.

I feel your pain! This week has slowed my studying a bit. When I get off work, I just have to get out and enjoy the weather. I think it's supposed to rain here this weekend, so I'll crack down hard tomorrow.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    I decided to do the Security exam because most everyone agreed that it was easier than CCNA. Well I prove once again to be the exception to the norm, failed with a 777. Not sure when I am going to take again as I don't have the money to spare and my nearest testing site is now a 2 1/2 hour drive one way.

Don't underestimate this test, it bit me in the rear.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    bummer mate icon_sad.gif your right in that you shouldnt under-estimate any cisco exam, no matter what others say.

What was your breakdown? That score shows you were close so I woudlnt let it slide too long, I know the drag in getting to\from exams and funds dont help. BUT given the economy this is the time to invest in yourself.

Go have a few beers chill out a bit then hit the books\labs again icon_smile.gif You'll get it next time.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Funny thing is the areas I thought I nailed I didn't and visa-versa. Breakdown as follows:

Describe the security threats facing modern network infrastructures - 40%
    Secure Cisco routers - 90%
    Implement AAA on Cisco routers using local router statbase and external ACS - 83%
    Mitigate threats to Cisco routers and networks using ACLs - 57%
    Implement secure network management and reporting - 66%
    Mitigate common Layer 2 attacks - 75%
    Implement the Cisco IOS firewall feature set using SDM - 75%
    Implement the Cisco IOS IPS feature set using SDM - 50%
    Implement site-to-site VPNs on Cisco Routers using SDM - 60%

Materials I used to study:

Exam Cert Guide
    CBT Nuggets
    CCNA Security Lab Manual

I didn't however use the one chapter, one beer method. Maybe that was my problem? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    Those scores arent too bad, its only the odd question in each area that you've missed. Sadly they all add up. I do recall when I sat the exam some fo the questions were imo a little strangely worded (as usual for Cisco) and I know I argued a few of them in my head.

Go through the CBT's again I found that closest match see fi you can pick up on the areas that let you down. And dont be afraid of asking questions here as always icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Bummer man... don't get down on yourself!!! Hit the books and labs (as suggested earlier) on your weaker areas and you'll be fine. I'm studying for this exam right now as well... not sure when I'm gonna take it though. I've gone through the nuggets twice, the lab portfolio, and the Authorized Self Study Guide... but I still don't feel as comfortable taking it just yet. We'll see... good luck on your studies man!!!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed with about the same score a couple of months ago. My mistake was not sleeping for 2 straight days before the test. I got to question 40 and gave up because the Red Bull was wearing off and my brain was toast. It's been tough to schedule it again because of the end of the quarter at work and so much travel for work as well. The firewalls, AAA and IDS/IPS sections tore me up the first time around.

Anyway, don't feel like you are the exception to the rule. I have it scheduled again for Thursday, April 15. I feel a lot better about it this time than I did last time, but we will see.
    :study:
  • Options
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    Anyway, don't feel like you are the exception to the rule. I have it scheduled again for Thursday, April 15. I feel a lot better about it this time than I did last time, but we will see.

Shaqazoolu... Good luck on Thursday... let us know how it goes! I'm looking to take this test some time soon as well. I'll post as I get closer to taking the exam!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suggest that you pick up the authorized self study guide. It went into depth about the topics very well plus it was easy to read.
  • Options
    Shaqazoolu... Good luck on Thursday... let us know how it goes! I'm looking to take this test some time soon as well. I'll post as I get closer to taking the exam!

Took it today as planned and passed. Huzzah. Time to sleep for a few days.
  • Options
    passed. Huzzah. Time to sleep for a few days.

congrats... sleep ?? party time surely lol
  • Options
    The sleep is in preparation for the partying this weekend. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    CONGRATS to you... I just looked at your sig block... out of curiosity... what made you decide to take the CCNA Security before you took ICND2? Either way... a pass is a pass!! Enjoy your celebration!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CONGRATS to you... I just looked at your sig block... out of curiosity... what made you decide to take the CCNA Security before you took ICND2? Either way... a pass is a pass!! Enjoy your celebration!

Long story short, I was working on ICND2 at the very end of last year and ended up failing the test with like a 790 in December. We decided to go ahead and start CCNA:S instead of going after ICND2 again in order to get the CCNA:S material and testing on last year's training budget. My ICND2 prep should just be review since I almost passed it the first time around. I'm gonna try and knock it out before the end of May.