Options

What's in your toolkit?

forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
My new job has me at client sites more often than I'm at the office(I just billed 30.5 hours this weekend doing a full infrastructure upgrade). This has me in a bit of bind: Having worked for the past four years as a single-site tech where any tools/programs I needed were down the hall, I'm having to contend with my office being, at minimum, an hour from my client's.

In an effort to build a better toolkit, I ask you, TechExams: what's in your toolkit?

(This can include software too, of course.)
The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    An external drive, screwdriver with multiple bits, laptop, 2 thumb drives (1 with WinPE 3.0, 1 with some installers and portable apps), MalwareBytes.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Google
    NMAP
    PuTTY

That's all I have off the top of my head.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    notepad, google lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    3 X usb pen drives

toteling about 12gig of storage. no idea what's on them, I know they have Teraterm, a few IOS's, and various bits an peices that come in handy,

but by far my biggest tool is Google. I did once build a boot cd and a tools cd, but to be honest most of the time i only used one or tow of the tools. and the times i did need something different it was not on the CD's.

Like Colby, I think just keep the essentials and get the rest as you go along.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Notebook
    USB -> Serial
    PCMCIA Compact Flash reader
    2.5" Ext. HDD
    Couple 16gb Flash Drives
    Barware Mini Travel Bar w/ full flask
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Barware Mini Travel Bar w/ full flask

You can ship me that new keyboard at any time :)

Me netbook, acronis, 2.5 external, pen drives.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My kit is a little ridiculous but everything in it has come in handy. I have an empty sata and IDE enclosure, an external floppy drive and DVD burner, a few USB keys, a burned CD with malware removal tools, a Vista Home Premium and XP Professional disk, a small tool kit, a router, and a bunch of cat5 and USB a to b cables. I go through a lot of cable because I sell them very cheap or give them out as a promotion with a few hours of consulting.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    USB thumbdrive loaded up with PortableApps and ClamWin Portable along with MalwareBytes, HijackThis, latest ComboFix and I always keep the latest printer drivers on there too.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    arwes wrote: »
    USB thumbdrive loaded up with PortableApps and ClamWin Portable along with MalwareBytes, HijackThis, latest ComboFix and I always keep the latest printer drivers on there too.

I'm too much of a sissy to use ComboFix on a client machine with important docs because i've seen it hose a box too often. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ComboFix is to me as the Death Blossom was to The Last Starfighter, a weapon of last resort. By that time I've got everything that's crucial to the person backed up somehow.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I have gotten good mileage from a USB ethernet adapter and an external HD enclosure.

Spare monitor as well.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Damn, now I feel like a fool. I pondered searching first, and only through my foolishness did I ignore that pondering. icon_redface.gif

Considering how many have posted...I see it as a sign that folks needed to dig in their toolboxes again just to 'see' what they may be using :)

Certainly there is valid info in the other threads, there are also newer 'tools' in some instances today then maybe when folks initally posted.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Swiss Backpack
    A4 Calandar diary
    Laptop with usb-serial cable with ms office and Putty.
    bright but powerfull mini led torch
    Decent quality cabling snips
    Ratchet screwdriver
    Krone punch down tool
    Roll of velcro strip
    Sandwiches or salad and bottle of water.
    Nice and light and rubberised mostly.

Tools all fit easily in the front pocket of backpack. Laptop and notebook in back pocket of backpack. Middle pocket for lunch. Upper pocket for phones and chargers and side pocket for water bottle.

Ideally a good Fluke tester but i've not got one of those. Blanket site access wherever you need to go would also be very usefull as would a company car with a fuel card.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop w/ 8gb ram
    Dell D630 laptop (craptop)

blank media (USB/CDR/DVDR/hard drive)
    laptop drive eSATA external enclosure
    500gb western digital portable HDD (laptop drive size)
    wireless access point (the size of a credit card)
    various cables
    bluetooth mouse
    USB switchblade
    kon-boot

For social engineering it just depends. If I'm dressing up like a pest inspector I'll have a spray bottle, bag of traps, invoices, memo pad, etc. For phone repair tech I've got a tool belt with butt set and other telco tools, invoices, fake IDs, etc. It just depends on the job and the scenario.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    For social engineering it just depends. If I'm dressing up like a pest inspector I'll have a spray bottle, bag of traps, invoices, memo pad, etc. For phone repair tech I've got a tool belt with butt set and other telco tools, invoices, fake IDs, etc. It just depends on the job and the scenario.

You seriously do that?

That has to be the coolest job, ever.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    You seriously do that?

That has to be the coolest job, ever.

What do you think Dynamik and I do for a living?
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The force of my Mighty Will!!!
    (Backed up by a multi-screwdriver, console cables and putty)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options

I'm getting flashbacks of the scene in Waynes World 2 where they dress up in various uniforms to spy on Cassandra, and end up dancing on stage as the Village People. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I'm getting flashbacks of the scene in Waynes World 2 where they dress up in various uniforms to spy on Cassandra, and end up dancing on stage as the Village People. icon_lol.gif

Lol I love that movie.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Umm, what I would love to be doing? :D
  • Options
    Umm, what I would love to be doing? :D

dude his mom is over-rated.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Thumb drive with various antimalware and antivirus utilities, Acronis, a plethora of various and sundry OS discs, console cable, Latitude D820, various and sundry screw drives, wire cutters, and so forth, password reset disc, a couple Linux distros, OpenFiler, network cable, some miscellaneous p2v software, and my sometimes not feeling up to the chore brain. So far fortunately have not had a bad experience with ComboFix.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dude his mom is over-rated.

NICE! icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was tempted to post yesterday in before dynamiks mom is mentioned, too late. Sorry mate.

Pretty much the same as most others. My console cable is most important thing in the field, feel nekid without it!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.