Options

Bc and Be

Quick question guys...something thats been plaguing me for a couple of weeks. So if you have a single rate, three color policer for instance. You specify a violate action, and Be defaults to equal Bc. Now, the exceed rule in this case says that if the packet size (in bytes) is < Be, it will pass, the exceed action will be taken, and the bytes will be removed from the Be bucket.

So if, by default, Be = Bc, say both are 8000 bytes...is my understanding correct that there will never be an exceed action that takes place? Hopefully someone can shed some light for me. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Maybe give and example policy to visualize it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I see the err in my thinking....plus I read a pretty good article on INE's blog last night clearing it up. I was thinking more hypothetical...than how networks and traffic in networks actually flow...like if you had a Bc that equals Be, say
    police 128000 8000 8000 conform..exceed...violate...
    your never really going to have that 9000 byte packet that can neither conform nor exceed, you are going to have smaller pieces of traffic that eat away at the buckets. Sometimes you have to just quit and go to sleep...