Options

Security+ Test Prep Question

Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
I just completed my MCSE and I am working towards finishing the Security portion by taking and (hopefully) passing the Security+ Exam. I have used Preplogic test prep and I have both Mike Meyer's and Darril's books along with the ExamCram practice questions book. I feel fairly well prepared but my question for both Darril and anyone else who would like to reply is this:

How representative is the final test in Darril's book compared to the actual Security+ exam?

I found Darril's final test in his book to be VERY easy, but some of the other test exams I have taken have hammered me with very tricky and obscure questions, and they have left me very worried with scores in the 70-75% range. There seems to be a large range of difficulty in the test prep for this exam, and I have seen some comments that the test is very easy - while others have claimed this test is the hardest they have ever seen.

I would also add that Darril's book is very good for test prep. It was a much easier read than any of the other sources I have used.

Any comments or pointers would be very appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The test is pretty straightforward, so if you're comfortable with the book, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'll go back and look at the Darril's questions, but honestly, I didn't use them during my studies.

I did use the 30 day online access for the Self Test Software practice test, and those questions were on par with the difficulty of the real exam. STS is running a 40% off special right now, so it's definitely worth the $30.

Most of the exam was covered by things I've picked up during my real world experience. STS pointed out my weak areas, the content of Darril's book filled in the gaps for me. I ended up with an 880/900, which may be my highest % score of any cert exam I've taken.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got around 90% on all of Darril's exams in the book and didn't feel overwhelmed taking the test. The test wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It wasn't all memorization of things. If you've used that many resources you can pass the test. The test took me 35 minutes and I scored 855. I used the Sybex book and Labsim videos. The Labsim videos have some practice tests which are really hard.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for that info just went and ordered the online practice tests.

bwcarty wrote: »
    The test is pretty straightforward, so if you're comfortable with the book, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'll go back and look at the Darril's questions, but honestly, I didn't use them during my studies.

I did use the 30 day online access for the Self Test Software practice test, and those questions were on par with the difficulty of the real exam. STS is running a 40% off special right now, so it's definitely worth the $30.

Most of the exam was covered by things I've picked up during my real world experience. STS pointed out my weak areas, the content of Darril's book filled in the gaps for me. I ended up with an 880/900, which may be my highest % score of any cert exam I've taken.