Options

CCSP prerequisite question

hhasundhhasund Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wondering, is the CCNA Security needed to take a 642-exam in the CCSP track, or is is just something you need to have to get the CCSP title?

I have a colleague who wants to take CANAC as soon as possible (he just took the course), but he does not have the CCNA Security. Can he take the CANAC, and then take CCNA sec later?

Comments

• Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I don't see anything stating that the CCNA:Sec is required before taking the CANAC... atleast there aren't any prequisites listed on the exam blueprint page:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccsp/canac?tab=1

The CCSP Overview does state the CCNA:Sec is a prerequisite for becoming CCSP but it doesn't state that you need the CCNA:Sec BEFORE taking the exams for CCSP...
    "Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP®) validates advanced knowledge and skills required to secure Cisco networks. With a CCSP certification, a network professional demonstrates the skills required to secure and manage network infrastructures to protect productivity, mitigate threats, and reduce costs. The CCSP curriculum emphasizes Cisco Router IOS (ISR) and Catalyst Switch security features, Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA), secure VPN connectivity, Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS), Cisco Security Agent (CSA), Security Enterprise and Device Management, Network Admission Control (NAC) as well as techniques to optimize these technologies in a single, integrated network security solution. In addition, CCSP leverages the new CCNA Security certification as a prerequisite."

Seems odd that someone would take the higher level exams before the prerequisite but I don't see anything specifically stating that you must take the CCNA level exam 1st.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're colleague can go ahead and take the CANAC exam if they are ready for it.

They just don't earn any certification until they've completed all the exam requirements and the prerequisites.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can take the exams in any order you want. He just won't get the CCSP designation until he completes all the prerequisites/requirements.

Edit: I'm pretty sure my post would have been first had I spelled prerequisites correctly the first time icon_redface.gif