Security+ Sybex book

zedronzedron Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am getting ready to start studying for the Sec+ now. A friend gave me his Sybex book to use but I was wondering if anyone else has used this ook as a study guide and if they have would you recommend it or should I go get a different one. My friend said it was the only one he used and passes but he has a background in security so I am not sure if the book actually reinforced what he already knows.
From what I have read, it seems that a lot of people seem to like Darrel's book and I will purchase that if the Sybex one is not really that great.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They are both great books. I read through the Sec+ book and felt that I needed a little more clarification or a different writing style to absorb the information so I bought Darril's book. My problem is that I would have struggled reading the Sybex book a second time so I got Darril's instead.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's best to use more than 1 resource. 2 books (sybex and darril's) would probably do it. I didn't know about Darril's book til the week I took my exam. I usedthe Labsim video (got it through WGU) and it helped me understand some things better.
    I also used the Sybex system administrator: street smarts book so I could do some hands on work.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • zedronzedron Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    It's best to use more than 1 resource. 2 books (sybex and darril's) would probably do it. I didn't know about Darril's book til the week I took my exam. I usedthe Labsim video (got it through WGU) and it helped me understand some things better.
    I also used the Sybex system administrator: street smarts book so I could do some hands on work.

Thnx for the info.
  • rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the Sybex study guide (second edition) and passed. The test wasn't too hard- all multiple choice. Just have to make sure you thoroughly read the questions, as I thought the wording was confusing on many of the questions. But that seems to be the case on all the cert exams.