Options

Failed Security+ today!

Cmptch62Cmptch62 Member Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
Failed Security+ exam today!
Scored 644 on my Security+ exam today(what a bummer!)
I thought that i was ready was scoring 100% on the transcenders practice exam
I also used the Sybex book and the Syngress 3rd edition guide
I can't get a refund on the transcenders practice exam because I used the product
for more than 90 days. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's unfortunate icon_sad.gif My advice would be to look through the areas that you scored low on and study that material. I thought the Sybex book was good but I thought Darril's explained some concepts better than the Sybex book. Overall though, I believe the Sybex book provides enough information to pass. I personally thought the Transcender questions were tougher than the actual exam. If you really know and understand the reason why each answer is right on the Transcender, you should be okay on the exam. Who knows maybe you had a little bit of test jitters? All I can say is don't give up!
  • Options
    AD200AD200 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

Don't worry I'm sure you will ace it next time. Check out the book Exam Cram 2nd edition for SY0-201. It is an excellent book and has plenty of practice questions.

Good luck!!!

A
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    This is one of the reasons that I have been putting off this test. I see some users that have had no problem passing and the test was easy, and then there is another group that did well on their practice exams but still failed the exam. Due to the high percent right (83%) I want to be VERY sure I am ready before I spend the $258 for this test.

I would recommend getting the Exam Cram practice questions book. It has around 800 questions in it and they seem to cover a broad spectrum of material. I would also get Darril's book.

I'm not sure if it helps with this exam, but for the 7 Microsoft Exams I passed for my MCSE I made sure I had seen at least 1000 practice questions for each test. You can learn a lot from reading prep books, but it eventually comes down to the fact that you MUST see as many practice questions as possible. Normally I had a couple of hundred printed questions to use as prep for each test and I reviewed these before I went in for the exam.

Here are a couple of other free resources I found:

Comptia Security+ Certification Exam - Proprofs

Security+ Study Guides, Practice Exams, Training Resources, and Forums

On the proprofs site the flash cards were very helpful.

Good luck...
  • Options
    madhattr23madhattr23 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also in the middle of studying for this test and I've already bought the voucher so I'm going to take in the next month, but stories like this make me nervous. Just adding a few extra flash card resources I found, both of these sites have a ton of security+ cards that people made.

Flash cards, vocabulary memorization, and studying games | Quizlet
    Flashcards: The world's largest online library of printable flash cards

So far it has been very helpful to see what other people deem as important information and is helping me fill in the gaps I've missed.

One more thing, I have a method I apply when reading practice questions and real exam questions that I've learned through studying for College classes and Air Force exams.

1. Read the Question (don't look at the answers).
    2. Formulate the Answer in your Head (without reading the possible answers!)
    3. See if the Answer in your head matches the available answers to the question.

If the answer you came up with doesn't match the choices then you don't really understand that part of the material. If you just skip to the answers without processing it then you are relying on word associations instead of knowing the material.

But hey, we know you are going to pass it this next time so don't let this get to you. Good Luck!
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that bud, but i swear by transcender. You wouldn't be able to simply memorize any of their questions because you'll be focused on understanding their explanations. My motto is failing my way to success. So after i read my book or took a video course, I purchase transcender. Their questions are HARD and don't feel bad if you FAIL on those practice exams. Once you understand their explanations, you'll pass even if its by a razor's edge.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry to hear about the fail, I am stusying for the security + as well. I know you will be Ready next time for sure.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    This thread is from 5 years ago...!
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Holy Necro Thread batman
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Exactly!

The original poster actually hit the Lottery and retired over 3 years ago ;]
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Exactly!

The original poster actually hit the Lottery and retired over 3 years ago ;]

Really?
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    SERIOUSLY? icon_exclaim.gif So cool..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh Lord...

that was "supposed" to be a "winky" face at the end of my post!!