TSHOOT this Friday

Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
Kind of a last minute decision, but the beta period ends on Friday and for 50 bucks I figure why not give it a shot? I just passed BSCI last Saturday so all of that is fresh in my head. I plan on reviewing some BCMSN topics, look at some Cisco docs on troubleshooting each of the particular topologies, and read through the TSHOOT exam certification guide if I have any time left.

I did some of the demos posted on INE and it looks like an awesome exam

Comments

• seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Kind of a last minute decision, but the beta period ends on Friday and for 50 bucks I figure why not give it a shot? I just passed BSCI last Saturday so all of that is fresh in my head. I plan on reviewing some BCMSN topics, look at some Cisco docs on troubleshooting each of the particular topologies, and read through the TSHOOT exam certification guide if I have any time left.

I did some of the demos posted on INE and it looks like an awesome exam

Best of luck!
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • S0cratesS0crates Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the TSHOOT exam in less than 6 hours. However, I haven't touched BSCI or BCMSN related material in some time, so I don't plan to pass. But hey, for $50, I'll take it. icon_smile.gif
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    all debug commands are disabled which is highly annoying i didn't know before hand and i've een taught to use them in troubleshooting. still glad its only a beta :)
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Best thing I can recommend is to go in with an attitude of being able to troubleshoot via each level. Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3, which technologies could be causing the issues. Checkout the exam topology before hand. Cisco has it posted somewhere on their site for you to view. I found it here: CCNP Troubleshooting TSHOOT Exam Topology (via Chainring Circus) | My Etherealmind it is not a violation of NDA they put it out for your viewing purposes before the exam. Know IPv6 as well. Good luck, let me know what you think of it. It is an interesting exam.
  • ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the demo tshoot on the website and I was a little surprised... I fixed all the problems so that I could ping but i didn't score perfect. It'll probably be an interesting exam but i'm too busy studying for ISCW to go out of my way to write it at this point. I'm eager to move on to the CCVP.
  • S0cratesS0crates Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The TSHOOT Beta exam was fun, but, as expected, I wasn't prepared for it. It was good to see the exam though and now I know what to study for next time.

The only thing I can safely say about the exam is that the demo and the network diagrams are accurate. Know them inside and out.
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I'm taking it tomorrow also...GL to us! :D
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Wow, what an awesomely difficult exam. I really needed to revisit the BCMSN material prior to taking this but I really enjoyed the format nonetheless. I think Cisco did a great job of testing your troubelshooting knowledge and making it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to braindump.

I will probably try to retake it again in two months, unless by some act of God I actually passed it icon_cheers.gif
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    Wow, what an awesomely difficult exam. I really needed to revisit the BCMSN material prior to taking this but I really enjoyed the format nonetheless. I think Cisco did a great job of testing your troubelshooting knowledge and making it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to braindump.

I will probably try to retake it again in two months, unless by some act of God I actually passed it icon_cheers.gif

I'm with you there! TSHOOT will make it very difficult for dumpers for sure! I have no hopes in passing this, I did learn a lot from this experience. I too will be retaking this exam, by then hopefully I would've met the deadline for the old exams :D It was an enjoyable experience, be it in a very masochistic way ;)
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    qplayed wrote: »
    I'm with you there! TSHOOT will make it very difficult for dumpers for sure! I have no hopes in passing this, I did learn a lot from this experience. I too will be retaking this exam, by then hopefully I would've met the deadline for the old exams :D It was an enjoyable experience, be it in a very masochistic way ;)

thats exactly how i felt! think i'll be doing ISCW though as i already have ONT but TSHOOT is really gonna cut down on the paper CCNP's :)
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I am kind of torn because I have ISCW and ONT left to complete the CCNP. The TSHOOT exam is great but a little part of me feels like I will be missing some good knowledge if I go straight to TSHOOT. Mainly I really want to expand on my current VPN and QoS knowledge. Of course I could study those topics on my own, but I know that I really know the material when I can answer the questions posed by those twisted Cisco exam developers.

Don't get me started on the paper CCNP's. I work with two paper CCIE written's that don't understand CCENT level concepts.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I am kind of torn because I have ISCW and ONT left to complete the CCNP. The TSHOOT exam is great but a little part of me feels like I will be missing some good knowledge if I go straight to TSHOOT. Mainly I really want to expand on my current VPN and QoS knowledge. Of course I could study those topics on my own, but I know that I really know the material when I can answer the questions posed by those twisted Cisco exam developers.

Don't get me started on the paper CCNP's. I work with two paper CCIE written's that don't understand CCENT level concepts.

I am in the same boat as you. I have ONT and ISCW left. I'm studying ONT now. I like taking the exams to make sure I understand the material as well. But, you could just do the ISCW and ONT. You have plenty of time to complete them before the deadline. Or you could do TSHOOT pass it, get CCNP, and study the ISCW and ONT and take some practice exams to make sure you know the material. I know it isn't the same as taking the exams, but those are the two choices that I would say you have.

man that must suck, i was told by someone at my uni (can't say there position on pub forums might get em in trouble) that they had people turn up for jobs with CCIE's yet when they got em in front of kit they couldn't put an ip on an interface! (this was a few years ago he said)
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389

So has anyone passed this exam on the first or second attempt? It sounds like it's a particularly difficult exam.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    So has anyone passed this exam on the first or second attempt? It sounds like it's a particularly difficult exam.

No one knows yet, it's been in beta, and they haven't released pass/fail results to the folks who have taken it.

The non-beta exam goes live at the end of April
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    aldous wrote: »
    man that must suck, i was told by someone at my uni (can't say there position on pub forums might get em in trouble) that they had people turn up for jobs with CCIE's yet when they got em in front of kit they couldn't put an ip on an interface! (this was a few years ago he said)

How is that even possible????
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    trackit wrote: »
    How is that even possible????

They Lied, and either have not taken it or paid some one else to.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • sfalcon1sfalcon1 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    They Lied, and either have not taken it or paid some one else to.

Yea, they lied and probably forged a certificate for display. no way would a real CCIE not by able to ip an interface. Cisco would not allow it.
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    what would be the point in that? surely they'd know they wouldn't hold that job for very long not being able to set an ip address...insanity! lol
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
    hexem wrote: »
    what would be the point in that? surely they'd know they wouldn't hold that job for very long not being able to set an ip address...insanity! lol
    you'd be suprised what people from certain countries *cougth* india *cougth* will do. most seem to think they have a god given right to whatever job/degree they are doing.

at my old uni i knew one who paid to have his programing assignments done got a first (highest grade in uk uni's) but the dozy sod forgot that the exam was 50% of the module, he completly failed that one. others tend to find one person who knows it and all copy changing the words slightly.

didn't the CCIE use to be heavily scripted so you could memorise a ****?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aldous wrote: »

didn't the CCIE use to be heavily scripted so you could memorise a ****?

even if it was, you would still know how to put an IP on a port. you would have to do it so often that you would know it any way. Your never going to be able to memorise a whole CCIE exam with out having some basic knowledge..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.