Options

Where to start??

benson79benson79 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all
Just looking for any advice as to where to start as I am new to it on a pro basis.
Have been in finance for 6 years have had a year off to be a father and now want to get into it, but there are sooo many options I don't know where to begin.
I can (and have done for friends and family) built computers and fixed them when they mess them up with malware, virus' and what not.
Good with most O/S' and play with Linux.
Any advice is most welcome and thanked for in advance
All the best
Benson

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What do you want to do?
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would suggest the A+ certification since you've already have experience with fixing and building PC's. From there it depends on what you would like to do. Have you taken any computer classes at CC or the unversity for programming, webdesign, or networking?
    Let us know so we can have a better idea to point you in the correct direction.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Think about what you would want to specialize in. "IT" is a HUGE scope.

Database admin, network admin, server admin, helpdesk, programming, web publishing, graphic arts, robotics....

If you have a degree already, great. If not, maybe you would look into a school with a college of CIS. Regardless, there are any number of certifications you can practice for and study for to get some "pre-experience".

I'll also add...dont expect to make a fortune, particularly when you start. People think IT is easy money for some reason. If you stay around for a while, you can greatly increase your earning potential, but try to keep in mind that the jobs may not be constant or steady, and you wont break teh mint.