Options

DCHP server on Vmware

GimmynoGimmyno Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys I'm not an expert on Virtualization and I'm having some problems with Vmware, basically I setup a domain on Win 2008 and a client (Win 7) for testing purposes, I installed the DCHP on the Server and Dns but I can't join the domain on Win 7 unless i manually type the IP address and DNS settings on the Win 7 Network Card,Is there a way I can get my server to automatically Assign Ips with the DCHP on Vmware to join a Domain?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is entirely possible. Did you configure and authorize the DHCP server?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Install DHCP on the server. Create a scope with available addresses on the same subnet as the DC, with the DC's IP address as the DNS server entry. Authorize the DHCP server in Active Directory. ????. Profit
  • Options
    MarkCBMarkCB Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would consider switching to Virtual PC on a Windows 7 machine. I had created a VMWare lab for studying purposes for my MCSA, and I was able to get each VM routed through the appropriate NIC card on the VMWare server, but it was a huge pain. I'm not even sure I'd be able to do it again if I had to. A couple of months ago a decided to use Virtual PC on my Windows 7 machine and everything worked exactly how I wanted it to right away.

But if that isn't an option I would check to make sure that there is a DNS entry for the DNS server and an entry for the Windows 7 client.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gimmyno wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm not an expert on Virtualization and I'm having some problems with Vmware, basically I setup a domain on Win 2008 and a client (Win 7) for testing purposes, I installed the DCHP on the Server and Dns but I can't join the domain on Win 7 unless i manually type the IP address and DNS settings on the Win 7 Network Card,Is there a way I can get my server to automatically Assign Ips with the DCHP on Vmware to join a Domain?
    If the client can already communicate with the server when you configure a static IP, there is no problem with "VMware" (BTW you should be more specific, are you using VMware Player, Workstation, Fusion, Server, ESX, ESXi?). Just installing DHCP on the server is not enough, it has to be configured. See Hyper-Me's instructions and you should be good.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    GimmynoGimmyno Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    there is no problem with "VMware" (BTW you should be more specific),.

Sorry I'm using Vmware Workstation,Thanks guys I will try :)
  • Options
    jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    VMware workstation has a built in DHCP server. i don't remember what menu it's under but i know there is a menu to disable the DHCP server in VMware. When i get out of class tonight i'll look into it more and post back if no one has beat me to it.

Edit: i just looked at VMware 7.0 and found that it was in virtual network editor.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, he needs it to assign the correct network information for his domain (i.e. DNS will be wrong if assigned by VMware).
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 to what jwedlund said. Disable the VMware DHCP service in services.msc

I' recommend disabling any VMware services you are not using.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com