Options

WGU: BS IT-Security question

jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
I've been looking around and even asked in another thread but I have a question. How did they fit in the CCNA? Was Network+ taken from the curriculum or was it just acted on to the security emphasis. My enrollment counselor didn't know and I haven't been contacted from my mentor (I start April 1st). I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this. Thanks...

Joey
Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It appears so: Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

Does this concern you? The CCNA is by far superior to the Network+.
  • Options
    It doesn't concern me at all. Actually, that is what I was hoping for, so now I know how to shift my studies. My thing is will I have to take the CCNA before the Security+...
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    It doesn't concern me at all. Actually, that is what I was hoping for, so now I know how to shift my studies. My thing is will I have to take the CCNA before the Security+...

I doubt it. I wouldn't let it bother you to much since your mentor will help you come up with a plan that works best for you.
  • Options
    I'm trying to wait but I'm just trying to hit the ground running....this week is killing me..lol
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

What is wrong with that? Maybe you are confusing CCNA with CCNA-Security, they are completely different. And you have to have your CCNA before you can take CCNA-Security. So having that out of the way, then focusing and passing the Security+ will give you some insight to the CCNA-Security course/exam.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    Oh no...they actually have both the CCNA-S and Security+ listed. I was wondering about the Security+ because most say its best to take it after Network+ but since I would have to take that, I was just looking for the specific order to take those courses..
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    What is wrong with that? Maybe you are confusing CCNA with CCNA-Security, they are completely different. And you have to have your CCNA before you can take CCNA-Security. So having that out of the way, then focusing and passing the Security+ will give you some insight to the CCNA-Security course/exam.

You just have to pass both the exams to get the CCNA and CCNA security. I am not trying to be a jerk and the only reason why I say this is because at least 1-3 people are taking exams in a non-traditional order. As long as he passes them all, cisco doesn't care what order he takes em in.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most people take the Net+ first just to get the broader knowledge before going deeper with the CCNA. I think WGU doesn't make you take Net+ because it'd be redundant.

When you start all the courses will be listed in your AAP. They even give an order but it's just a recommended order. I've taken a lot of classes out of order. No longer have that luxury as only 6 classes left.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    You just have to pass both the exams to get the CCNA and CCNA security. I am not trying to be a jerk and the only reason why I say this is because at least 1-3 people are taking exams in a non-traditional order. As long as he passes them all, cisco doesn't care what order he takes em in.

You confused me ;) Last time I checked, you must have a CCNA before taking the CCNA-Security. Did they recently change the prerequisite? That was my understanding of the way Cisco allowed you to obtain your CCNA-Security.
  • Options
    You confused me ;) Last time I checked, you must have a CCNA before taking the CCNA-Security. Did they recently change the prerequisite? That was my understanding of the way Cisco allowed you to obtain your CCNA-Security.

True, but either way you need both certs to have the CCNA:Security.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

No you don't need to have the CCNA before you take the CCNA security. You need to complete the CCNA before you obtain the cert but you can take the test in any order.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    No you don't need to have the CCNA before you take the CCNA security. You need to complete the CCNA before you obtain the cert but you can take the test in any order.

Ahhh ok cool, didn't know that.
  • Options
    scarecrow93scarecrow93 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It appears so: Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

Does this concern you? The CCNA is by far superior to the Network+.

Net+ is still there. Read the program guide bottom of page 12/top of page 13. The security emphasis calls this course BGV1 while the Net Design / Management calls it TNV1. Same way to complete it.
  • Options
    Thing is, that is from 2/24. IIRC, they made changes to certain IT curriculum March 1st and I think the CCNA:Security was part of that change. I may be wrong.. *shrug*
  • Options
    scarecrow93scarecrow93 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's probably when they were "set in stone" by WGU since March 1st was the following Monday. Not sure though. Will ask my mentor the next time I talk to him. These are different than the "old" requirements however. My current program has "lost" a few courses.
  • Options
    Net+ is still there. Read the program guide bottom of page 12/top of page 13. The security emphasis calls this course BGV1 while the Net Design / Management calls it TNV1. Same way to complete it.

I think that PDF hasn't been updated correctly yet. It's still showing the 70-298 as part of the program as well.
  • Options
    I think that PDF hasn't been updated correctly yet. It's still showing the 70-298 as part of the program as well.

So what all has changed on the Security degree? According to the website, the Network+ isn't one of the Certs you obtain, but the BGV1 is listing Net+ as the exam to take. What replaced 70-298?
  • Options
    They may not have replaced it yet. I don't believe (could be wrong) there's an equivalent to that for Server 2008. So many changes were implemented March 1 that a lot of people are unclear of exactly what has changed.
    Edit: On the transfer sheet 70-298 course lists CCNA:Sec as one of the certs which would satisfy it.
    I was looking through the transfer guidelines just out of curiosity. Still not clear on why, if the CCNA:sec would satisfy it, the course still exists.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    The PDF program guide referenced in the earlier link is still for the old program. Anyone have a link to the new program guide?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Whats funny is I got the paper program guide from WGU in the mail for the Network Design. The front page or two talks about how I will earn an MCSE and talks about the 290,291, 293, etc....then you goto the next pages where it outlines each course and its talking about MCITP EA, 640, 642, 643, etc :D
  • Options
    YUP, mine still says MCSE as well. Hopefully they get that and the PDFs straightened around soon.
  • Options
    ... sucks.. I want to plan this out and I can't lol..
  • Options
    ... sucks.. I want to plan this out and I can't lol..

What do you mean?
  • Options
    What do you mean?

Lol if you seen my excel doc I've compiled in the past two weeks from the different schools I have been researching you would understand ;) I am not the kind of person that actually "plans" much, but I like knowing what I am going into, how long it will take, etc.
  • Options
    b1tbuck3tb1tbuck3t Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    The PDF program guide referenced in the earlier link is still for the old program. Anyone have a link to the new program guide?

http://kb.wgu.edu/display/2/kb/article.asp?aid=1189

If the that link doesn't work:

go to
    http://www.wgu.edu/sh

Select Records and Transcripts on the left side.

Check out Program Guides

Select the PDF for the IT program you want.
  • Options
    b1tbuck3t wrote: »
    http://kb.wgu.edu/display/2/kb/article.asp?aid=1189

If the that link doesn't work:

go to http://www.wgu.edu/sh

Select Records and Transcripts on the left side.

Check out Program Guides

Select the PDF for the IT program you want.

Thats not it, thats the same one thats on the main website. It's outdated, doesn't show CCNA/CCNA Security courses, still has Network+, Java and Database which I thought I read some where here that it was replaced with something else.
  • Options
    b1tbuck3tb1tbuck3t Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats not it, thats the same one thats on the main website. It's outdated, doesn't show CCNA/CCNA Security courses, still has Network+, Java and Database which I thought I read some where here that it was replaced with something else.

Interesting. The publish date in the guide is 2/24/10. Based on that I would think it is current. I didn't check into the security program as heavily, though I recommended a friend take that route based on the references to the CCNA in other WGU descriptions.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Whats funny is I got the paper program guide from WGU in the mail for the Network Design. The front page or two talks about how I will earn an MCSE and talks about the 290,291, 293, etc....then you goto the next pages where it outlines each course and its talking about MCITP EA, 640, 642, 643, etc :D
    When did you get that?! *going to the mailbox*..lol
  • Options
    b1tbuck3t wrote: »
    Interesting. The publish date in the guide is 2/24/10. Based on that I would think it is current. I didn't check into the security program as heavily, though I recommended a friend take that route based on the references to the CCNA in other WGU descriptions.

Well from what everyone tells me, the programs changed the first of March. So...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    When did you get that?! *going to the mailbox*..lol

It came this weekend, so about 1 week before my start date. It had steps on how to being the EWB, etc.