Options

Encrypt Flash drive - recommendations

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Latest request from higher ups - Capability to encrypt a backup of a data base to flash drive. Shouldn't be a problem. The kicker is .... Only IT and co. president can have the actual encryption password.

They want the user to be able to put in the flash drive, hit a batch file that will back up the database to a flash drive (these are small, usually 1-3gb of info) and if we need to recover the information, we have to do so on site or remotely without end user having the password.

Would it be easier to use normal flash with say PGP or best to buy the drives with encryption already on them? They do not want the end user to have the capability to take the information and plug it into a home machine, etc and retrieve the data. So I am looking for recommendations, if anyone has done something like this before.

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IronKey or TrueCrypt
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    IronKey or TrueCrypt

Yessir!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Buy an IronKey for your purposes. They have hardware encryption and you have a budget. I use truecrypt b/c I'm poor. If I had a security budget I'd use IronKeys.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    What's the OS on the computer you're running the batch file? I'm assuming Windows. Depending on which version, if your OS has it(vista/7), you could use Bitlocker. It's incredibly easy and you can set the computer to automatically unlock the drive when it's mounted.

FYI, I've used TrueCrypt and I would say it's by far a better product, but its' learning curve is a bit higher than Bitlocker. If you don't have Bitlocker on your OS, I'd suggest that as well.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    These are all XP Pro machines. We want to make it simply for the end user, yet still encrypt the file once it copies onto the flash drive.

I scrounged up a 4gb drive and downloaded TrueCrypt to play with, see if it will do what we wish it to do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Buy an IronKey for your purposes. They have hardware encryption and you have a budget. I use truecrypt b/c I'm poor. If I had a security budget I'd use IronKeys.

If I remember right, I think they use Open Office, etc. to cut costs. Methinks TC is the way to go.