Options

Going in for Sec+ in two hours

ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have read Darril's book, done the practice test's and have understood the material. Also used the Sybex book and did the same. Only thing that concerns me is the Preplogic practice exam. Some things on that were not touched on in either book (ie Bastian firewall).

Any last minute cram tips?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went through all of the exam tips and the chapter summaries in Darril's book right before my test. If I might ask where are you testing at? I am from the St. Louis area also.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Relax, you'll do fine. If you have a short stuudy guide of some kind (even self made) read over it before test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I went through all of the exam tips and the chapter summaries in Darril's book right before my test. If I might ask where are you testing at? I am from the St. Louis area also.

I actually live in Troy, IL. I am taking the test at Jefferson College near STL. Although it is a drive, it is the only center near me that is available for short term scheduling. Most others are around a month out.

On a side note, I know I am over-analyzing this test. I did the same on the A+, but I would rather be safe than sorry at 250 bucks a pop.

On a side note, I was looking through some gmail archives from a few years back and found a spam email from GetCertify4Less selling Net+ vouchers for $99 bucks. I even clicked on the link to see if it was still valid icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ahh nice, I am from Belleville. I usually take exams at SecureData. I totally understand being nervous at 250 per test. Good luck!
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Ahh nice, I am from Belleville. I usually take exams at SecureData. I totally understand being nervous at 250 per test. Good luck!

Yea, I have taken tests at SD, they have been backlogged lately though. I remember back in the day taking an exam at BAC (before SWIC).

Not that I mind the hour drive to Fenton, but I do wish it was closer.

PM me where you work at and if you are hiring icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Just passed the exam!

Used Darrill's book along with glossing over Sybex book.icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats !!!

What was your impression of it? easier or harder than expected?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!

What's up next?
  • Options
    I think it was on par with what I expected. I knew it would be a harder test than say the A+ and I went in with no professional experience.

I got a lot of questions on Virtual machines, VLANS, etc., port scanning, which encryption is strongest, oldest, etc., IpSec.

I have to beat a dead horse a little and say that nothing came out of left field. Every answer looked at least familiar. Darrill's book was a good road map.

I did not get anything on port numbers, but I guess that is YMMV..

I was thinking maybe go for MCITP next..
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass. I just passed mine 2 weeks ago.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Congrats!!

I am also in the area. I live downtown St. Louis!

Sounds like we need a STL meet lol.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    Congrats!!

I am also in the area. I live downtown St. Louis!

Sounds like we need a STL meet lol.

Awesome man! Are there any clubs in the STL area that are IT related? Congrats on your Test AL!