Options

Unattended installs

bdmstbdmst Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hopefully an easy answer to this question, cause its driving me nuts.

Trying to proform an unattended install over a network, I want to be able to pick the partition myself (delete and create partitions too).

I start the install with x:\winnt32 /sicon_mad.gif: /unattendedicon_mad.gif:\unattend.txt /tempdrive:c

The answer file for this area is setup like this:

AutoPartition=0
MsDOSInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

But it just flies by the text portion not allowing me to select the partition I want.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bulibuli Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for your question but I do have a quesiton for you if that is ok, I am working this days with unattended and RIS installation, I don't know how to get this network boot disk that I'm susposed to start the unattended instalation with, I'm stucked without it and I don't know where can I get it, maybe u can suggest something since u r working on it.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    buli wrote:
    I don't know how to get this network boot disk that I'm susposed to start the unattended instalation with, I'm stucked without it and I don't know where can I get it, maybe u can suggest something since u r working on it.
    Thank you in advance.

Are you talking about the Remote Boot Floppy Generator (RBFG.exe)?

This exe file creates the Remote Installation Services bootable floppy disk that is required to install RIS-based operating systems on client computers that do not have a PXE-enabled boot ROM.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Or if you have for example, a PXE network card, like this one http://www.shentech.com/3com3cfasetx.html you wouldn't need a floppy, boot straight to the network, it's sweet I did it myself too, it's so good when you see it all at work! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Trying to proform an unattended install over a network, I want to be able to pick the partition myself (delete and create partitions too).

Option for automatic partitioning of the hard drive

By default, the Winnt.sif file you have created does everything in the install process automatically except partitioning and formatting the hard drive. This must still be done manually. If you want to skip this and have the setup process automatically format the main drive with NTFS and install, enter the following line in the winnt.sif file under the [unattended] heading.

Repartition = yes

Note that this will make the setup process automatically erase any data currently on the main drive.

Taken from: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1703&page=4
  • Options
    bulibuli Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank u for your informations, actualy that helped me on RIS but I'm still having problems with unatteneded installation, RIS is ok now but I need the network boot disk or a dos envirement that will help me conect to the source computer that holds the I386 folde, it is abot WINNT command when u make a clean unattended installation.
    That is where I'm having the problem.
    Thank you very much again.
  • Options
    gullivergulliver Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    now to another problems. i have tried RIS, i setup all the requirements on network. I was using a 3com network card for the client. But whenever i wld press F12, the client wld seem to hang. Please help .. me and advice me abt that. what wld cause the prob?
  • Options
    cestricklincestricklin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    could be the nic is not campatible and would need to have an hcl card...strange cause most 3 m's work.
    "HE WHO BELIEVES, IS HE WHO SUCCEDES"